Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 CB350 and recently just upgraded my rectifier/regulator with the piece from Common Motor.
I took a couple of rides after installation and everything seemed to have gone well.

On Sunday I attempted to go for a morning ride and when I turned the key I had no power.
I have a new battery and it was on the trickle charger all night, so I know my battery is fine.

Now when I turn my key on the on position, I have no power in the handlebars or headlight, but when I turn it to the reverse position my rear light comes on.
The bike won't start, and the horn, indicators and electric start don't work.

I checked my fuse and it looks perfect, but since the reverse light is coming on I am thinking it is something more specific.

Appreciate your help

matty

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's possible the contacts in the ignition switch are corroded. Though your situation could be caused by many things, try cycling the key on and off repeatedly to see if the contacts in the switch itself clean up a little and you see power everywhere again... it costs nothing to try, and if the switch is the culprit, they can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned. BTW, the 3rd position on the switch is for "Park", originally intended for when the bike had a mechanical problem and was parked on the roadside at night, to illuminate the taillight so no one would run into the parked bike. Nothing else has power in that position, and the key is removable - but the battery wouldn't last long with an incandescent bulb either

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I tried cycling the key back and forth for a while and haven't been able to get any power besides the "park" position.
I'll check the ignition switch a bit further...

I am thinking something to do with the new Regulator...? Going to try and look for loose connections ... I am losing sleep over this one!

If anyone's got any other ideas pls let me know :)

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
I know it's long distance rates, but a phone call will let me tell you how to bypass the ignition switch to verify or deny that the problem lies within it.....540-525-5199.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar situation and I'm pretty sure it is the contacts in the ignition switch. When I first got the bike ('79 CM400T) I could tell that the contacts in the switch were dirty or corroded. I switched the key back and forth a few times and it cleared up and has been running well since. The other day while riding it, all power cut off. After awhile I was able to start it and ride it home. I went to go for another ride a few days later and nothing. I tried the key a few times but no power. Unfortunately I didn't think to try the parking light, just switched the key on and off. I had assumed that there was a loose connection and since I had to replace the choke cable anyway (separate problem), I took the tank off. Went to check the wiring with most of the harness exposed, but when I turned on the key, power, just like I would have expected. I jiggled the cables and checked the connectors hoping that I could find an issue of a loose connection or a broken wire. Power stayed on steady.

With all that background, I'd like to be able to take the ignition switch apart and see if there is any dirt or corrosion that can be cleaned up. Any suggestions on how this can be done. I haven't found anything on this webpage, and the service manuals don't say anything either. Any personal insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's been a while!

But for anyone having the same issue, I bypassed the key with a tiny jumper cable and confirmed it was the ignition switch. I purchased a new ignition from Common Motor and it fixed the issue flawlessly. You have to take the tank off but it is plug and play.

The only thing that sucks is now I have two different keys.

Shoutout to @66Sprint for the troubleshooting help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts