Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed new battery... new ignition and key and new right handlebar switch have a green light on at tachometer and headlights work ..starter button does not work... no blinkers or horn ...fuse at battery is good. On the new handlebar switch there is a kill switch which the origional did not have ... which meant an extra wire .... could this be the problem Any advice would be good .thanks in advance
Kanga

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What type of bike? Do the starter, horn and blinkers work thru the same switch ? If so and you have power to the ignition switch Then I would think you have some wiring wrong going to the handle bare switch. Or from it. You might unhook everything that you changed and wire one circuit or jumper one circuit at a time to be sure the wiring is correct. I have found when changing handle bar switches the wiring isnt always what they say it is and you have to find the right path.

Bill

" I have never failed I just tried a lot of things that didnt work." Edison

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Assuming CB450 or CL450.
The kill switch goes between the key switch power and the coils; if you didn't use the black and black/white wires when installing the assembly, it isn't involved.
The horn switch and starter switch both depend on chassis ground being applied around the risers from the fork top bridge, which grounds through the frame, as the risers are (mostly) insulated by the rubber. The front signals have direct ground wires to the harness in the headlamp (since the shell is plastic), but the rear signals usually depend on the frame. Verify the heavy ground wire from the battery to the rear motor mount and frame is in good condition, and the contact points are clean and tight. If the frame was repainted, you may need to wire brush the contact areas at the motor mount down to bare metal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou Bill H and Rick ... Problem Solved... the bike is K2 or K3 not sure engine 3015244 frame 3015363 I found on old thread by mtn..''Help IDing wires for aftermarket right control switch " I made up a short piece of wire with 2 eyelets and connected 1 under nut on triple tree? and other end to front blinker everything works except
blinkers but Rick I will make sure they have direct grounds through the harness in head lamp. It was pretty exciting to hear the starter turn the motor...Also Rick is it ok just to leave the black and black/white extra wires without doing anything to them in headlamp
This bike has not been started in 25 years but it is getting close
Kanga

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
A disconnected switch will not interfere with anything - nothing in, nothing out. I have, on occasion, bumped the run/stop switch, and wondered why I had no fire, so it can bite you if you wire it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts