Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lets just say, :roll: if someone wanted to leave their mufflers in the garage, but still wanted to cut the noise a bit, is there a baffle that would slip into the stock CB450K7 pipes and leave a good bark without restricting flow too much? :?: But still quiet her down a bit... :? Someone wants to shove some baffles in the pipes and fit a short directional pointing out/down on the end :shock: . Crazy, Stupid, Fun? :D Any ideas on what to use to accomplish this dumb idea?
[attachment=0:3u0tzs3q]IMG_0752.jpg[/attachment:3u0tzs3q]

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
the proper way to get just the right sound is to rotate the header pipes up so they are pointed at your ears, then hammer a large cork into the pipe ends and drill a small hole in the cork, drill the hole larger sizes until you get the sound you want, a second advantage of having the unsupported pipes rotated upward is you will be able to watch them as they vibrate loose :twisted: not a fan of loud pipes

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
This is really a long shot as I am just guesstimating on sizes from memory of a Beach Buggy I built in 1982 but the chrome muffler end pipes on the old VW Beetle swallowed surprisingly much of the noice (music). They could fit inside your pipes.
[attachment=0:1j91jg3f]VW Beetle muffler.jpg[/attachment:1j91jg3f]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jayel, I tried that, could'nt hear the cop behind me so it can't be quite that loud anymore... but thanks. :lol:

Ron, very interesting... :idea: there is a V-dub shop right down the street from me, I'll let you know what I find out. Thank you. ;)

BTW-I do plan on building supports for this... and It will probably just be temporary untill I grow up, but I'm in no hurry.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ronny,
I went down to the local Volkswagon shop and picked up two tips per your suggestion for $5 a peice, new, and with some persuasion, stuffed them in the pipes and 'walla!', sounds great! They look like they are loose in there but actually fit very snugg (there is a reduction back twards the front) The sound is still a nice deep growl and no bark at idle, and comes to life at higher revs. It will definatly hold me over untill I get my two into one made.
[attachment=2:mxkq7ig7]CIMG8661.JPG[/attachment:mxkq7ig7]
[attachment=1:mxkq7ig7]CIMG8663.JPG[/attachment:mxkq7ig7]
After seeing this exhaust, I have to have it... still looking for someone to help me make one.
But untill then, the above will be fine.
[attachment=0:mxkq7ig7]honda-cb450.jpg[/attachment:mxkq7ig7]
Thanks,
Mat

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's gonna cost you as much to make that exhaust as it will to buy one premade. A LOT of cash. Rod (from OZ) has made a really cool exhaust from pipes bought off of Ebay, cutting them down, and using megaphones. He then welded it up and had it chromed I believe. It's here on the board somewhere..

There is an exhaust available for the 450 here: http://omarsdtr.com/exclub.html

It's one of your only "pre-built" options that I can think of..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
$400 isn't too bad for a one-off exhaust. I paid well over $500 for an almost NOS 2-1 Hooker header..

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I have heard of using the VW tips on these bikes before and thought about a set on my Scrambler. I think I would have to tack weld them in at least. I would hate for one to vibrate out and go through someones windshield and possibly kill them. :ugeek:
You can always grind the weld off when you want to take them off.
I really do think they will back out after a while.
Don

·
Registered
439 Posts
damn, thems VW pipes look GOOD! what is the outside diameter of them VW tips? I think i've an ideer..... danWI

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I don't have any pictures of it actually mounted on the bike.

[attachment=0:hj9aq4k5]c3f1_1.jpg[/attachment:hj9aq4k5]

Grrrr...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Never miss a chance to rub my nose in it, huh ???

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I haven't heard it on my bike yet. I had the 450 running but tore it down before I bought the Hooker (HEADER). :lol:

Bill was watching the header on Ebay and possibly bidding if I remember right. I was a newbie to the Hondatwins at the time but I was working a good paying job and was intending to own that header no matter what, even if I had to pay a grand for it. Ever since then he's poked fun at me about it. He used to have one but unfortunately lost it in a fire from what I remember.

It sure does look nice on the bike, when I had it mocked up anyway... It's pretty much flawless except for one scuff on the original Hooker decal.

·
Registered
439 Posts
l5cygx, i have a set of custom straight pipes for the ST project. good looking set of pipes but i need to douse the noise/backfire levels.... i'm hoping these VW tips have some baffle or packing in them. if so, they will fit into the end of the straight pipes with minor mandral work... will look like an old school "stinger" end, i think. Will try to photo what i'm thinking this weekend, danWI

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well GB, if you want to see how she sounds, feel free to send it over... :D Seriously, If you ever decide to sell that peice, I'm in line right after Bill. ;)

danWI, they do have some packing in there, curbs the POP at low rpms, but it is still LOUD. I'll definatly get another ticket if I keep riding around like this. They would look cool if you have a good way to join them to your pipes and for $5 a peice new, you can't really go wrong. :) Looking forward to see what you have going.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts