Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have got my 67 CL up and running, I have been dealing with a non firing cylinder intermittently, which by the way has moved from the left to the right. Fat conditions off and on the plugs and a sense of not trusting the bike to get me back and forth to the soft ice cream stand in town.

I am starting over, the carbs are off again and on the workbench. (The 135 mains and 42 pilots were just too rich.) I know that a decent baseline jet combination in my future, I will find it. The most important and what hurt the most, an electronic ignition system is on the way from "Charlie's Place". I even broke down and bought the overpriced regulator and have already installed hotter coils from 4 into 1.

Nothing stands in the way of a man and his soft serve ice cream..........

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Try 38 slow jets and 125 mains..... (maybe 130s considering modern fuel).... slide needle/center notch....

IIRC,...Factory used 120 mains but that was for leaded fuel......Mike might be a better reference on this.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie's EI system installed and timing set, not a complicated job at all. The bike fires better than ever, went with 130 mains and 38 pilots. Still haven't had a chance to road test. For some reason the right carb is puking around the bowl. I have changed gaskets, and even installed an extra carb, same problem. I am heading out of town for the weekend so I will figure it out when I return. Even with that the condition the bike runs better than it ever has. I truly believe my intermittent dead cylinder was either the condenser or points. I will finish this bike one day, I really will........

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my bike back

Carb issue was solved by doubling up the bowl gaskets. Tight fit getting the bail back up, but sealed up tight. Took the bike out for a good 15 mile dial in for the carbs and EI system. Only adjustment was to the idle screws, bike ran perfect and starts on the first kick every time. Damn, I think I am really finished. Time to really get serious about finding a winter project......

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Carb issue was solved by doubling up the bowl gaskets. Tight fit getting the bail back up, but sealed up tight. Took the bike out for a good 15 mile dial in for the carbs and EI system. Only adjustment was to the idle screws, bike ran perfect and starts on the first kick every time. Damn, I think I am really finished. Time to really get serious about finding a winter project......
I love a happy ending. Trying to run a 40 yo ignition will always be a challenge. Enjoy the ice cream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts