Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Is it too late to add that to my list for Santa?.....LMAO!

·
Registered
275 Posts
80K?? Peanuts!!
How bout this Brough. This was taken at VMD 2008. My friend sold it last May.
$406K

Bill (the owner) had it in his enclosed trailer covered with a blanket. I never paid attention to it.
He said, "c'mon, help me get this bike over to the show". He hooked the trailer up to his truck and we left the vendor area to go to the show/auction area. Coffee cup in hand, I hop out of the truck and drop the back of the trailer. There is dew on the grass. Bill, (thanks to a lady in a Crown Vic), only has his left leg, losing the right one just below the knee. He pulls off the blanket and I think I said HOLY SH#T!!.
He undoes the straps and tells me to help him push it out. As we get to the back of the trailer, the trailer tips. I don't know if he unhooked it when we got there or never hooked it up right to tow it over there. Out the back door we go, me with a hot coffee in my hand, him with one leg, slipping and sliding on the wet grass. How we held it up, I don't know. I didn't spill any of my coffee (that's very important that early in the morning). We slip and slide and push it across the grass, down the ravine and across the gravel road to the show paddock. Little kids on mini bikes whizzing by. Now, we have to roll it up the other side of the road. 1ST try, we slip on the wet dirt. Back down we roll. Second try-- almost! Third try was a charm. So far, the bike is upright, both of us sweating like pigs in the humid, hot, Ohio summer air. I'm eyeballing this smooth as glass (and wet) steel plate we have to roll across to get into the arena. I am not stepping on that plate. The bike rolls across as I am splayed out trying to keep my feet on the gravel and-- we're in!
I ask Bill to take a picture of me with the bike. As I stand there smiling, Bill trying to figure out what button to push, some guy walks up alongside him and asks: "do you think the next one will sell for over $400,000.00? The last one got $375 and it wasn't as nice as yours". I think I heard Bill say: "I hope so" just as I fainted.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is that the original British number plate on the front or a USA one in the British style?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great story :)
I am also interested in the plate on front and would like more details on this nice twin.

Larry

·
Registered
275 Posts
ol55 said:
Great story :)
I am also interested in the plate on front and would like more details on this nice twin.

Larry
I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised though. I'll write and find out.
Bill bought it when he went to the IoM with the Vincent Owners Club a few years back.

This is a pic of him circling out on the course with another club member. Needless to say, he is quite well off. We went to HS together. He stole my girlfriend from me and I beat his a$$. We've been good friends ever since and he is still married to her.
Every once in a while, I'll tease her and ask her if she ever regrets breaking up with me to go with Bill. I don't think I have to tell you her response! (One of the few times you'll hear her use profanity to describe how thankful she is for doing that).

BTW-- correction: He lost his left leg. I can never remember but, looking at this picture, you can see his left foot is at an odd angle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here is a picture I found of Mike Hailwood on the MV at that same spot. Notice the buildings in the background. I think it's called Craig ne Brae or something like that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes that is Creg-Ny-Baa, been there a few times myself, I went over in about 1970 on my CB72 and did about 2 full laps on it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was fortunate enough to get a day ride on a Black Shadow in the early '70's, in the Colorado mountains.
I thought it was kind of heavy and geared a bit high for my tastes, but in motion it was wonderful - truly a memorable day.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting, if I am reading it right the DVLA has a vehicle registered here in the UK with that Registration Number.
The AU show that the vehicle was first registered in Nottingham where they were manufactured incidentally.

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for FAU 836 are:

Date of Liability 01 04 2010
Date of First Registration 31 12 1938
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 990CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour NOT STATED
Vehicle Type Approval

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am/was totally ignorant of the bike other than knowing it was a Brough and Lawrence of Arabia had one. I'm waiting for a response from Bill. I do remember hearing the SS100 designation. If I remember right, it is supposedly the exact same model as TE Lawrence rode but, don't quote me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here's the poop from my buddy on the Brough.

As for the Brough , yes that is the original log Number. Its a 1939 one of the last made . It was the show bike for 1939 and also the bike used to draw the 1939 Brochure. One of only two to ever have chrome fenders and hubs, as well as the engine was chrome plated and the all cases polished. It was the shiniest SS 100 ever made. I think It was made for a guy who lived in Detroit and drove a Cadillac with **** Tails? : )
Merry Christmas!! Bill and Marge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts