Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of my endurance racing team mates rode in from Clovis, NM at the same time I was returning from a delivery to NE Illinois.

We took off Friday morning for a Texas Hill Country via Marble Falls, Fredericksburg, Luckenbach and home, 320 miles in total. It was hot and humid but that comes with the territory out here. I took the '76 GL1000 and one of the other guys has a KLR650 that he rides the hell out of. He's done 2 Iron butt rides on the KLR and one of them was a 1500/36 hour ride. He's an animal. The other guy surprised me when he showed up on his brand new, leftover '08 FJR1300.

The KLR was the limiting factor on the longer stretches of road and my GL was the limiting factor in the twisties. I was the ride leader and managed to bang the undercarriage pretty hard in the first left hand turn and decided that a more conservative riding style was in order. We finished up the ride just in time for a nice steak that Beth and waiting when we got home.

Fun.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Sounds like it was a great run Mike. Nice to see such different bikes getting along too? Too often you see the same type bikes always riding together. My riding buddy has a KLR and loves it, so we are an oddball group as well.

How did you mark the map you posted, you have a GPS?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HerrDeacon said:
Sounds like it was a great run Mike. Nice to see such different bikes getting along too? Too often you see the same type bikes always riding together. My riding buddy has a KLR and loves it, so we are an oddball group as well.

How did you mark the map you posted, you have a GPS?
I use Microsoft Street Atlas and each of the numbers is considered a "stop" so the program with label the route with the blue line. After the ride is over, I got through and delete the stops that were not part of the route and add stops that correlate to the actual roads we took.

It's a pretty good program. I use it in my truck with I make deliveries. I hook up a GPS antenna to it and it works much better than a standard Garmin NUVI GPS that I have. It just give a better big picture with the ability to see alternate routes, landmarks or interesting features. Plus, it will go online and get updated, ongoing road construction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts