Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes that will work. Common wisdom seems to suggest we avoid no resistance at all (non resistor plugs and caps) and double resistance (resistor plugs and caps). After that it's up to you how you do it. I'm currently on non resistor caps at the moment so I'm using DR8ESL. If the web is to be believed, the L means it's a half a heat range hotter than a standard 8. If this is true it will be helping me as my bike tends to look a bit rich on the plugs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I actually do not understand what you're saying though. You seem to be saying that we need non resistor plugs paired with non resistor caps and resistor plugs paired with resistor caps? Either of those options seem to go against what I thought I knew. What I described having are non resistor plugs and resistor caps. Neither of which meet what you mention. I was under the impression that we needed resistance either in the plug or in the cap but not in both.

There are four possible combinations:
1: Resistor plugs and non resistor caps
2: Resistor plugs and resistor caps
3: Non resistor plugs resistor caps
4: Non resistor plugs and non resistor caps.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Of your 4 options #2 is what needs to be avoided.
The true purpose of the resisted caps and or plugs is to decrease/eliminate EMR interference with radios. It does have a small side effect benefit of intensifying the spark. Running everything non resisted will give you the best spark voltage at the plug.
EMR means Electro Magnetic Radiation

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it is actually preferable to have no resistance at all either at the plug or cap? What about the possible EMR interference? Is this a non issue for the running of the motor?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
EMR is pretty much a non issue nowadays, when the bikes were built car radios, TV's, etc were all non shielded. With electronics advances that's been eliminated for the most part.
Honda's original design was non resisted wires and plugs with resisted caps. Finding non resisted caps is a bit troublesome but they're out there. For simplicity's sake I'd just run the Honda design.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EMR is pretty much a non issue nowadays, when the bikes were built car radios, TV's, etc were all non shielded. With electronics advances that's been eliminated for the most part.
Honda's original design was non resisted wires and plugs with resisted caps. Finding non resisted caps is a bit troublesome but they're out there. For simplicity's sake I'd just run the Honda design.
Do you happen to know which non resistor NGK caps are appropriate? I'm only experimenting because I've had an electrical issue on the bike for a long time and I'm trying everything I can think of. Using both non resisted plugs with non resisted caps is something I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Some of these new replacement electronic ignitions don't react too well to EMR interference, something to keep in mind when you get ready to toss your resistor caps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts