Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this awesome forum. Lot's of good info but I still need some help.

The CL350K4 didn't run when I bought it but the previous owner said that it had been running good a couple of years ago but he knew that the carbs were a mess after sitting for a while. I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs with all new O-rings, floats, valves/seats, and pilot jets. After that it started and ran well. After some fine tuning and cleaning I decided to take it out for a longer ride than just around the block so I took for a 40 mile ride. When I got home I could smell burning oil. I looked over the engine and saw that there was quite a lot of oil coming out from the gasket between the cam case and the head. I decided to order a service gasket set from common-motors and replace every gasket and seal from the leaky gasket and up. After removing the engine from the frame I realized that the head gasket had also been leaking so I removed the head and the cylinders too.

So, I now have a few questions that I'm hoping to get answered.

- The cam chain tensioner rollers are kind of chewed-up (see photo). Should I replace or just reuse and keep it adjusted?
- If I should replace the rollers, where would be the best place to buy them?
- I noticed that the bottoms of the valves where different color shades, light and dark. The plugs are different shades too (see photos). Any ideas why? Caused by leaky head gasket? Carburation? Leaking valve guides? Other?
- The pistons, rings, and cylinders look good...should I just have the cylinders honed and reuse the rings?
- Should I have the heads gone over by a shop? Valve seats, lap valves, valve guides? If I should replace the valve guides, where should I buy them?

image3 (Large).JPG image1-x (Large).jpg image2 (Large).JPG

Thanks much,
Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
it looks like your right hand cylinder needs to be leaned up. i suppose if the timing was misadjusted that could cause a bit of carbon build up as well.

i would not reuse the rings especially after you rehone. they are cheap and fresh ones can make a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Monkey Wrench. Yes, I plan on re-ringing after honing.

Now I've found out that I have more issues. The cam lobes and the rocker arms on the left side seem to be worn to the point where they need to be replaced or repaired. There's also some pretty significant wear on the cam end bearing surfaces. I've added some photos.

So, I'm looking for a cam (the skinny one), two rocker arms, and both end bearings. If anyone has any of these items in good shape please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan
350 Scrambler_0001 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0002 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0003 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0004 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0011 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0013 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0014 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0015 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0016 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0017 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0023 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0024 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0025 (Medium).JPG 350 Scrambler_0026 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
The Cam, rockers and bearing end caps are the Holy Grail of the 350 parts, they're around but shop carefully for used parts. You can send the cam and rockers for repair, Delta Cam is pretty reputable. Don't forget to use good assembly lube on the new parts and zinc additive in the oil will reduce the chances of it happening again. Oils since the 90s have reduced zinc that's needed for flat tappet engines like these and muscle car engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts