Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought a '75 Cb200T about 2 weeks ago. It ran fine at first then I left the key in it and on overnight and it wouldn't kickstart. Charged the battery, tried it today and away we go. It didn't want to stay started at first but eventually I kept it going. Bombed it around the yard after work for 10-15 minutes. Thoroughly enjoyed knocking down the grass in my folks' yard but I noticed that it was backfiring a little if I would throttle hard then back off quick.
Then I stalled it (New rider. First bike that I've ever ridden). I kicked the bike again and it didn't want to start. I had to feed it quite a bit of throttle to get it started. Then once it did start it wouldn't stay running unless I kept it at about 1/8th throttle. I decided it was time to park it but it stalled going up a hill in the yard and then I really couldn't get it started.
Was thinking maybe a stuck float? Anyone have any ideas? Haven't really even checked the thing over much yet (been having too much fun just riding it around the yard and dreaming about it while surfing sites like this). Was considering pulling the carbs and cleaning them this weekend. Good idea, maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

JoeN

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: Newbis with a CB200T

Dead battery...You "killed' it leaving the bike on..... Also check the coil....They also tend to burn up when key is left on....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I figured the dead battery part. Charged the battery and it kickstarted. However, I now have what I think is a carb issue as I described above. I'll have to check on the coil this weekend though. Thanks.

JoeN

·
Registered
97 Posts

sounds like a carb problem from everything ive ever heard about that symptom. is your other bike a 650 nighthawk????? my buddy just got an 82 hawk and thats our next project to tackle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. Just a CB. It'll be getting a teardown/ rebuild once the 200 is roadworthy. Trying to decide between cafe or tracker for the 650.
Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to pull and clean the carbs and change the plugs in the 200. And maybe I'll get some more photos taken.

Thanks guys.

JoeN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts