Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a 1972 CB350 and would like to restore the bike. I don't much about bikes but am learning fast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Some of the changes I was thinking of making was getting new exhaust, a replacement fuel tank, and changing the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I can't wait to start. My biggest dilemma is whether I should try to salvage as much original parts or use aftermarket replacement parts. The fuel tank has a dent on the side from being dropped and also has rust. The exhaust has a hole and the chrome is a bit pitted. Is a good site to find aftermarket parts like seats, exhaust, fuel tank, etc? I'll post pics of the damage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great site for parts. Thanks for the link. I did have a question regarding a part. The original owner chipped a cover during removal. He says it is a clutch cover but the more I look, it seems to be an alternator cover. I want to order one through ebay but I want to make sure I get the right part. I've attached the photo with the part circled. Also, any suggestions on where to get aftermarket fuel tanks or seats? It seems most people recommend the Dunstill exhaust too. Are there any other options that anyone can recommend?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bill. Is there any trick to removing it? The guy before me tried to pry it off with a screwdriver and chipped the edges.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One basic suggestion with all these old bikes, is don't force anything. Let's say you have a stubborn bolt, if it doesn't want to come off, stop, re-asses, and make sure nothing else is holding it. Lot's of pb-blaster, and heat will help. An air -impact will make quick work of stubborn bolts as well.

Another note on the twin CB350 oil filters, once the engine cover is off, you will see the plate for the filter. it has 2 little nubs on it. The plate does not spin, or screw on. It's a press fit. So when removing it, don't use the nubs to turn it, use the nubs to pull it directly out. I have broken a few of the nubs off thinking it was screwed on.

There's a lot of stuff to think about, but when re-building, take your time, take lots of pictures and most importantly stay organized. Label parts, make sure washers, bolts etc, stay in the correct order.

Once you get into it you'll find your own system.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
kennethshaw said:
Thanks Bill. Is there any trick to removing it? The guy before me tried to pry it off with a screwdriver and chipped the edges.
No, just those three screws hold it in - they give you a couple of little slots to pry, but you do have to be careful.
If it won't come off from the outside, you may have to pull the whole clutch cover and tap it out from the inside.

·
Registered
124 Posts
good looking bike. get a manual before you atart tearing into it too far. I have a 71 the manual (along with steve) has saved my ass a few times. the more stock parts you keep, the better. for cables I went through siriusconinc.com. pretty cheap and has some other good parts. ditto on the stay organized part, especially if you are going to spend any amount of time sitting around with a hammer in your hand waiting for new parts to arrive. but by the looks of that bike you shouldn't have to do too much I wouldn't imagine, it looks pretty un-beated, unlike my little bastard child 350.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great sites. It's definitely got my mouth watering and my list is getting bigger by the minute.

I do have a question regarding fuel tanks, tires, and exhaust. Is it possible to get an aftermarket fuel tank for the CB350? Also, what are good options for cafe style tires. And last, what would you guys recommend for good options for exhaust.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts