Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just recently purchased a 1971 Honda CB450. It is my first ever motorcycle and so I am entering uncharted waters. I am from Omaha, NE and always love new adventures. Currently drive a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe but wanted something a little more fun and a different experience. The bike is in great shape, just needs a good tune-up and a few things worked through like rebuilding the master cylinder, changing the points and figuring out why my headlight and taillight won't work. Any advice on owning a 47 year old bike would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Bike looks to be in nice original shape except for the bars and grab rail. The factory paint is pretty rare to see after this long. Best advice I can give you about the DOHC 450 is be gentle during warmups, be sure to keep the revs as low as possible for the first couple minutes because there is no pooled oil under the cams and followers (rocker arms on this design) and all the valvetrain parts rely on oil flow from the bottom end, which goes up the two right-hand cylinder studs and pressurizes the cams to feed the cam bearings, followers and cam lobe surfaces. If you fire it up and ride right away, you can expect to be repairing worn followers and cams down the road

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Looks like the original bars and mounts. The rack was an add-on, whether Hondaline stuff or not - they came naked. Yours is close to being a complete original survivor, something that carries more value as these bikes get older and more rare. Nice find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chasing electrical problems is one of my favorite things ... so I'd love to help you out on that.

Have you taken the headlight bucket off and examined the condition of the wires yet?

Do you own a digital multimeter ? Best 10-20 bucks you could spend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
See my post on the issue using the link below. Tonight will be my first night I am available to troubleshoot since purchasing the bike so updates will come. My brother has a multimeter but he's an hour away from me. Might just go buy one myself.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/57...-rear-running-light-brake-light-71-cb450.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the original bars and mounts. The rack was an add-on, whether Hondaline stuff or not - they came naked. Yours is close to being a complete original survivor, something that carries more value as these bikes get older and more rare. Nice find.
I believe it is a two owner. Guy I bought it from had it for 15 years and then I believe he said who he bought it from purchased it new. Definitely in some of the best shape of any I was able to find locally. Previous owner did some repainting of the frame but tank is original I believe. I will be taking the grab rail off tonight as I like the look better without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts