Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, old Brit guy here, wanting advice on next bike, for gentle riding, fettling and summer only fun. We have a lot of ex USA bikes imported over here, so plenty of choice.
Looking at either cb350 or cb450, probably 1971 or a little earlier. Would prefer drum front brakes.
Whaddya reckon to either bike?
Thanks for tips!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Mr. Racingt, I'll chip in with my personal experiences and opinions, but dont take them as gospel, I'm a crotchety old geezer a bit set in my ways.
First thing to remember, these are 50 plius year old machines. Of the two, the 450 was built to a high quality standard, the 350 less so. Having said that, the 350 K1-3 were a very well designed package, the 450 overly complex for not much more performance. After 50 years and who knows how many previous owners, you need intrinsic reliability, or access to spare parts! The 350 is well served in this respect.
Even so, if you want to resurect one of the imports, budget at least 6-8 hundred pounds just for the usual suspects, silencers, most chromework, tyres, chains etc. I know you guys in the states can pick these up for peanunts, not so over here in the UK. But, of the two, I must admit that the 450 does have more 'presance', but I chose a known good package (having owned both back in the day). I found the 450 vibratory, ill handling and heavy. (It also dropped a valve causing engine carnage). The cb250 was a delight and very perky, easy to chuck around and very reliable. I knew the insides of the 450 pretty intimately, never touched the 250. The 350 import I have just finished gives all the signs of being just as much fun as I remember.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jjdugen. Really appreciate your viewpoints on this. I guess I started off by wanting the CB77, but prices seem too high. The 450s are much cheaper, 350s even more so. I think that 305 or 350 maybe the sweet spot for weight and the type of riding I want to do. Any views on the CB77? Guessing parts will be an issue. Also it may generate revenue by loaning to a film studio for one of our period dramas, which we love in the UK. Any thoughts appreciated cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi again. Of all the motorcycles ever made, I think the CB72/77 to be the most perfect looking of them all. BUT...... These were designed in the 50's.... and built to 50's tolerances. OK if you treat then with extreme mechanical sympathy, but they have inherent weak spots that make them a little bit granady. I worked on mine over 15 years, slowly eliminating the weak spots. In the end, it was reliable (even at motorway speeds), but it was far from standard. You wont go far wrong with a good condition CB 350 K1-2, still a classic with all your tick boxes ticked and far more robust and servicable. (I await the howls from CB CL 77 owners!).

·
Registered
99 Posts
No arguments with that choice, Honda got it absolutely right with the looks of those and the CB72. You have a nice choice of alternative motors too......

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice choice on the bike! Let's see some pics at your earliest convenience. I love the "tiny twins" as I like to call them, and I don't see too many 160's, 175's, or 200's around my local area (southeast PA, Mid-Atlantic region of the east coast USA).

It seems like the 350's, (which I own one of) 450's, 500T's, and CB400F/500F/550's are the majority of vintage Hondas in my local region.

I've been itching to build a CB/CL 175 or 200 for a while now, even have a buddy who said he'd be interested in buying the final product if I did complete such a build, but I need to see some complete bikes for inspiration!
Bring on the pics, and don't be shy about showing any of the "patina"! We love that stuff here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1C2B1FCF-6028-4BF3-A32E-5CE207CEF325.jpg
Nice choice on the bike! Let's see some pics at your earliest convenience. I love the "tiny twins" as I like to call them, and I don't see too many 160's, 175's, or 200's around my local area (southeast PA, Mid-Atlantic region of the east coast USA).

It seems like the 350's, (which I own one of) 450's, 500T's, and CB400F/500F/550's are the majority of vintage Hondas in my local region.

I've been itching to build a CB/CL 175 or 200 for a while now, even have a buddy who said he'd be interested in buying the final product if I did complete such a build, but I need to see some complete bikes for inspiration!
Bring on the pics, and don't be shy about showing any of the "patina"! We love that stuff here!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1969 model, looks like 4200 mileage is genuine, Ohio bike, currently in Suffolk, UK awaiting registration. I recieve in four weeks, can’t wait! I will spend a long time then recommissioning. Heidenau tyres already on order!.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Great looking bike! Couldn't ask for a better canvas to start with. Looking forward to following your progress! Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Racingt. I had similar thought to you 18 months ago. My first choice was a CB72 because of the excellent design. Expensive, spares becoming difficult and expensive to find. A decent restored example would be about £8000 but then you are scared to ride it. Second choice, a CD175 Sloper (the bike of my teenage years). Same problems as the CB72 but worse. Third choice was a CB250 K1 or K2. I found a K3 in reasonable condition with most of the expensive work done. I enjoy it but you have to expect to do things. In my case, professional help to sort the carbs, sorting a few minor electrical problems and now sorting the clutch. The more you look, the more you find interesting repairs of former owners. The worst was the wiring from the right handlebar switch. Solution was to strip it all out and rewire from scratch with the correct colour wires etc. I am still looking forward to the spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I’m looking forward to working on it. I’m seeing it as a challenge, and plan to just restore lightly then ride. No paintwork, or major mods such as indicators, I’m hopefully going to leave it stock. Have modest mechanical experience gained with several RVF400s, reckon I can tackle Haynes jobs up to 3 spanner’s. Where are you based? Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Looks like a real beauty. Congrats!
Where are you located?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cambridge UK. Bike imported from Ohio. Still not received it yet, awaiting UK registration. Got new Heidenau tyres ready for its arrival!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
like a kid on Christmas morning, right?

Reactions: Racingt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it’s crazy. I’m 62 years old, this is my 28th motorcycle, least powerful for many years, but there’s been no bike in my garage for 9 months so I’m really keen to get hold of her. Tbh, looking forward to the mechanics and getting her going. Much more satisfying than making a cash transfer for a new BMW 1200.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Racingt, out of interest, where did you get it? 2 places spring to my mind, Dave Silver and Unit 1?

I am up in Dereham, so not a million miles away!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Balders, David Silvers. He recently got a container in, and I guess I was lucky getting there early, and picking up a really clean and complete exampl. The other two 160s I saw are now sold. Think I might keep checking his website regularly, probably pays to be among the first buyers when he lists stock. What are you riding / looking for?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Balders, David Silvers. He recently got a container in, and I guess I was lucky getting there early, and picking up a really clean and complete example. The other two 160s I saw are now sold. Think I might keep checking his website regularly, probably pays to be among the first buyers when he lists stock. What are you riding / looking for?
I recently (less than two weeks ago) picked up, or rather had delivered, a 1971 CB450. very pleased with it!

I have seen Dave Silvers stock list, and there are a few I would love to take home! Especially the yellow CL350!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts