Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined because a friend bought a CL450 And I'm helping him fix it up. It has been rode hard and not maintained well.
It's an interesting bike. The torsion bar valve springs are a different way to do things.
I don't know much about the bike, but I am learning fast. He had another fellow working on it and about all he did was tear the engine apart. It is now back together. A few new parts. It was kinda hard getting the cam chain threaded back in place.
I think the master link for the cam chain is a problem. The only one we had was an extra from my XS650 rebuild. The pins were spaced right but a bit long, the link with the side plate on is wider than the other links. When we got the engine together it would turn over, but hangup now and again. After a bit of fooling with it , it started turning over ok.
Installed the engine. Now the engine is binding again, it will turn about 1/4 turn forward and back. We think it is the cam chain master link. Waiting for new parts now.
While waiting we did get all the lights working. Love the horn, the little beep-beep is cool.
His rear brake is bent down. Appears that the shaft that holds it and the center stand on is what's bent. How hard is it to get the bent shaft out?
Glad to be here. With what I have learned so far, a CL450 may be in my future.
Leo

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Sounds like the cam to crank timing was off to me as well.....Bent/wedged valves are often the result..... One question though.... Why would you deliberately use the wrong link when a new correct one is only a few bucks?.... :eek:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Sounds like the cam to crank timing was off to me as well.....Bent/wedged valves are often the result..... One question though.... Why would you deliberately use the wrong link when a new correct one is only a few bucks?.... :eek:
I'm not touching that one Steve - it's all yours.......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Besides the possible bent valves, if that shaft that holds the center stand is bent, the whole thing might have to be cut out? It's already a real bear to beat it out of there when it's straight. You need to give it a closer look to be sure. If it's just one end that's bent (brake side) you might be able to beat it out in one direction only.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Besides the possible bent valves, if that shaft that holds the center stand is bent, the whole thing might have to be cut out? It's already a real bear to beat it out of there when it's straight. You need to give it a closer look to be sure. If it's just one end that's bent (brake side) you might be able to beat it out in one direction only.

Yeah, if it's bent, there's nothing else to do with it.....
That part is NLA (No Longer Available).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I know I'm gonna regret it someday but I cut my brackets and entire assembly off before I blasted the frame and powdered it. I have a lift for servicing though.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
So GB, ....What does your rear brake pedal pivot on?...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There is no OEM rear brake pedal. Just the rearsets with linkage to the rear brake assembly. I know it'll pivot a small amount under suspension movement, but I've "butt dyno'd" it and the movement is very insignificant. I've even had a buddy (I'm 165lbs, he's 250lbs) sit on it to cycle the suspension and it moves a very tiny amount. I may redesign it in the future but this setup will work for the time being.. I'll be relying on the front dual disc more often than any rear brake anyway, so I'm hoping for the best. IF I ever finish it...

Sorry to threadjack another one guys. I just wanted to fully explain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We used what we had. The guy wanted to get by as cheap as he could. Not a very good excuse, but all I got.
I tried to get him to replace the cam chain.
It has some very worn parts. Two of the cam followers are very bad. One of the chain guide sprockets was missing the teeth.
He has been shopping for another bike and use this one for parts.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Hey xsleo! I wondered when you would show up. Seems like 6 months or so since you posted the honda question over on the garage site. Welcome aboard!

Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts