Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really happy to have found this site. Thanks to all for a tremendous resource. An old frat buddy of mine mentioned that he had this 1970 honda cl175k4 that he bought 35 years ago from a guy for $50 and it's been sitting in his garage for all that time, not too well stored, and he never tried to get it started. I just bought it from him last week for $150 and a steak dinner. Thanks to the info in some of the posts I was able to fire it up, runs great, but cosmetics, rubber, cables, seals, seat, chrome, paint, etc are in pretty bad shape, so I'll be asking about parts resources and advice in the near future. I'm Sab and I'm in the Sacramento Ca. area.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Congrats.. WELCOME...
and since you have been lurking around here for a while.. you should know better!!!
PICS PICS PICS!!!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome Sab - and yes, pictures are a requirement around here... you might have heard the phrase in your lurkings around here - "no pics, it didn't happen" :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome! You'll need FSM somehow, will make the restoration a lot easier and enjoyable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome from another newbie a couple of hours south of you near Modesto. You got the model I was originally looking for, but stumbled on to a primo CL450 that I couldn’t pass up. Have fun with your new project and pics along the journey would be good so we can live vicariously through your restoration process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to need a lot of parts. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable reasonably priced vendor? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Depends on what you might need, but 4into1.com is a good source and usually as inexpensive as most. Bike Bandit is decent for some stuff, David Silver Spares US website is usually good for NOS OEM parts, Western Honda as well. You can go to Western Honda or cmsnl.com and look up part numbers, then search the internet for other suppliers. cmsnl.com would be a last resort for parts as their shipping from The Netherlands is really high. Common Motor is another possibility but they tend to be on the high priced side. I've found lots of stuff I needed on both Amazon and eBay but research the seller and the part well before making the purchase, as some on eBay don't always properly know what they're listing

·
Registered
79 Posts
That chrome should buff right up with some steel wool. I've been using SOS pads to great effect, it cuts the grease and removes the surface rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys. Right now I'm going to need all cables, gaskets, tachometer, points, plug wires, rubber pegs, carb kits, pet cock, chain, rebuild forks, right side cover, grips etc. Engine, tranny, clutch seem good. And a ton of elbow grease to clean a very greasy/grimey bike. Anyone have luck with degreaser and a light power wash?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TCBLACK, your'e the best! Couldn't believe how well the SOS pads worked to restore the rusty greasy cruddy chrome. Saved me tons of time, and now I don't need to re chrome the fenders. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition of a new project and welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JCW, FYI, there's a nice looking ck175 in the SF bay area craigslist for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts