Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.... picked up a 1976 CB200t in "running condition". I have no license yet so the owner rode it back and forth for me....all seemed well, stayed idling, shifted through all gears, no smoke or engine noise....$900 seemed reasonable. Friend ride it home for me but it wouldn't stay idling. He thought it was needing just a throttle adjustment.then on the ride home we had to ascend a pretty good hill.... quickly lost power and struggled to keep it at 35 in 3rd gear....and smoke began coming from underneath. so I looked it up and the troubleshooting section of a book I have and it said that it probably has a top-end problem or maybe even with rings and pistons. So first I think it already but I wonder if there is an opinion if I got duped or not and second how much work am I looking forward to? Should I delve in this myself or dish out some cash, which I'm short of?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Could just be clogged up carburetors from sitting. A small oil leak will produce an inordinate amount of smoke if it lands on a hot exhaust pipe. Before diving into complicated stuff, eliminate the simple stuff first.

What's the bike's history? Didi it sit for a long time? Why did the previous owner sell it? Does it look like it's been properly cared for?

Can you post some detailed, clear, sharp photographs of the engine & carburetors and general condition of the bike? That might show some simple, obvious problem like the aforementioned oil leak, loose or cracked ignition leads, general filthiness, etc. These bikes are pretty robust and generally about as reliable as gravity, but you do have to take decent care of them.

If it was mine, I'd get rid of any gas in the tank (unless I was certain it was fresh), throw a bottle of Berryman's B12 or Seafoam into the tank with some fresh gas, and ride it for 20 or 30 miles and see if that didn't clear things up.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
And most importantly don't panic, you're in the right place. Post lots of photos and ask lots of questions, you'll get the support you need to get through this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if this is supposed to be posted elsewhere. Vague history history about the bike...just that they wanted to Cafe it but quit. Fairly clean, fair paint job on tank, a tank sealed but the boots from the air box were taped onto the carbs on both sides....took them off and the one on the right was torn. The carb on the left had junk in it when I drained it. Pic of gunk in a napkin. Idle jet looked clogged, cleaned all jets with brake cleaner. The float was full of gas and needs to be replaced...where would I get a float and a boot for the air box?
Might be some leakage from an upper gasket on the top end...a little. Smoke was coming from the breather, looks like oil too as there is gunk on the stand and around. Bit of oil from around the bolt on the cover in the pic.
Should I use MEK to clean the carbs instead of brake cleaner?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh yeah....some corrosion from an old battery on this part that I don't know what it is... between the air boxes
That’s the regulator. It prevents the battery from too high voltage at high revs. Can be replaced easily. Just look on ebay.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts