Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

new to this list, sent over from The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Group

I have a CB175 that is registered as a 1967. It has been impossible to find any info on, but it may be because it does not exist?! so I have been told by a few people that the CB175 did not exist until 1968/69. anyone know where to find a vin decode type thing for these old rides or a VIN register and numbers type chart for Honda?

the vin is, as stamped into the down tube of the steering, CB175 1001310.

was told it ran when it was bought, but I have only had it running for 5 seconds at most; twice, as it rev'd up to 6000 rpm and I cut it quickly each time

looking forward to getting it going and getting more info on it

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The 68 CB175 with the "sloper" engine was NOT generally imported into the US although the CL was.... A few may have been imported to Canada.... It MAY have been registered as a 67 because manufacture started in September of 67 (this would actually make it a 68 "model year" vehicle, but some slip in and are registered as the year of manufacture, or the actual year at the time rather than the "model year"...)
IT IS actually a K0 model... (Honda does NOT go by year...exactly)
Most of the parts are identical to the previous "year" CB 160 except the engine was upped to 174cc, and got a 5-speed transmission.....I have the CL version myself, and a Honda parts manual for the CB and CL if you need a reference for part numbers...
Hope this helps ....Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

thanks - I was told you would be the go to man over here; Bill Lane from Japanese Vintage said you would be the person to talk to about this early CB175 and he was right

so far the only parts I have needed are a needle for one of the carbs which I took a chance on a later carb rebuild kit from Sirius Consolidated Inc in Ontario (it worked) and my brother (Harley mechanic) has had a hard (supposedly) finding the right points and condenser combo for it (again the not knowing what year or model to order) and says he has gone through 6 sets but also blames the parts supplier for getting it wrong

have owned it for about 3 years and it has not run more than 5 seconds at a time; looking forward to getting it going

have told my son i tis his bike for when he gets old enough to ride it. that will be another 11 years+ here in Ontario so I should have just enough time to get it going

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, just to clear something up, this is still the CB175 model - not a CL175?

what the difference in the CL as opposed to CB? I know there was a CD175, but that was a single carb and the CB is dual; what differentiates the CL?

should I try to get the year adjusted when I register the bike? or keep it as the year of manufacture?

do the VINs on these bike indicate when it would have rolled off the line? ie, does 1310 at the end mean it would have been the 1310 bike off the line or the 310 bike off the line? could be one of the earliest survivors then, n'est pas?

anything you notice about this bike that indicates it is not original? the side panels are off and in my garage as I was rebuilding the carbs at the time

a lot of the chrome is pitted but in overall good shape except the handlebars which are twisted, probably from a drop

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The CB to CL differences were really only a few parts... The CB has a bigger tank, different seat and low pipes...the CL has ~6" high handlebars that are cross braced, smaller (prettier) tank, and high pipes, both on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it)
The high bars on yours aren't stock, and you are missing a side-panel...... Other than that I can't tell as I can only see the one side.... Your CB 175 should look almost exactly like a CB 160... Except for a different taillight assembly, and the addition of turn signals........ Go here to see pix: http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0160/spo ... ort160.htm
....You can go to "home" on the motorera site, scroll down and view the CL 160 or CL175 to get a better idea of the (mostly) styling differences.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again

have been surfing ebay for parts availability and have noticed that the CB175 is not easy to find things

BUT the K0 is; if Honda went by "K" listings rather than year, what distinguishes the different numeric K's?

and it is safe to assume not all K0 parts fit K0 bikes

might be interested in trading for a 1966 175 of some sort if anyone is interested

I have a thing about owning '66's (birth year) - also keeps me limited to what I can own

1966 Volvo 122 (4 door), 1966 Harley XLH, etc.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The 1966 bike closest to that one would be a CB160....... K0 indicates the first design of any (every) model regardless of displacement and/or year......You'll also need to specify model and displacement to avoid confusion.....
The 450 is an example of this craziness... Every CB 450 from 1965 to 1967 was a K0 model, just different years.....The CB 450 K1 started in '68 with major changes (5-speed trans, different frame, etc....)But the left-over K0 examples were also sold in '68 right alongside the K1's

I have several 1966 Harley Sprints, all 250 cc pushrod single, four-strokers....(mostly disassembled for storage and restoration)...
'66 is also my year of choice because that was when it was first legal for me to ride on the streets (16)......LOL.....So of course, that years models were what I had to choose from........ Welcome to the '66 club!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts