Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people this is my first bike. I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago from a trade . 81 cm400c . Has so problems but overall I couldn’t be happier with the bike so far .the speedo does not work and the carbs leakgas from the over flow(?) line when I turn the bike off but only drains for a bit. So my plain is to re build the carb, I have read the how to on here a couple times and I will do so a couple times more before I feel comfortable trying tackle that. It also has small oil leak some where behind the clutch cover took a pic of it but you can just see the drip :(. Also I think a stud (?) on the sprocket is broke due to the fact that one of the nuts on the sprocket just spins when I turn it and the sprocket is kinda lose . So I haven’t been riding it but hopefully soon . This is my first motorcycle but Iv always worked on cars so I am some what mechanically inclined lolz. Thanks in advance and it’s going no to be awesome to talk to you lot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice bike, don't rebuild the carb, If that's all more gas that drips after you turn it off. Try running some Sea foam through it. More times than not people create more problems than they fix (vacuum leaks)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice bike, don't rebuild the carb, If that's all more gas that drips after you turn it off. Try running some Sea foam through it. More times than not people create more problems than they fix (vacuum leaks)
Ok I will try that this weekend . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You should develop the habit of always shutting the petcock off when you shut the bike off. Fuel leaking past the float valves (and it will) not only causes drips but can result in fuel getting into the crankcase, diluting the oil, and trashing the engine. You might also try disconnecting the fuel line at the carb with the petcock shut off. If it continues to drip fuel you'll want to rebuild or replace (simpler & more likely to work) the petcock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice looking bike. You'll definitely need the Factory Service Manual. PM sent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should develop the habit of always shutting the petcock off when you shut the bike off. Fuel leaking past the float valves (and it will) not only causes drips but can result in fuel getting into the crankcase, diluting the oil, and trashing the engine. You might also try disconnecting the fuel line at the carb with the petcock shut off. If it continues to drip fuel you'll want to rebuild or replace (simpler & more likely to work) the petcock.
I do turn it off after every use . Sorry I forgot to mention that , and thanks I will deff do the fuel line disconnect and see where it goes. I have read the thread on on the carb rebuild a couple times and will prob read it a couple more time and watch some videos before I decide to dive into that lol

81 cm400c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello from Fort Wayne.

Nice starting point bike. Cant wait to see what you do to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey there fellow Hoosier lolz. Thanks just got to get past the gf’s bday and we can start doing stuff thankfully it’s only next month

81 cm400c

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello Killaguapo! I'm in Indy doing a 82 CM450 build, about the same bike. I did rebuild the carbs on mine and was happy with the result. I did have some gas leaking problem before, but now it's fixed. I upgraded to cone air filters and had to adjust the carb for increased air flow. Last time I had it running it was back firing a lot when decreasing speeds. Probably need to still adjust more but now I also bought new mufflers so the back pressure may have changed too.

I think these older bikes sit for long periods and build up dirt in the carbs. I wouldn't be afraid of opening it up and cleaning. Just take very good note/ pics to put back exactly the way it was. Hell I took apart a transmission out of my F150 just to see how it worked! Not really that hard if you have the tool and space to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Killaguapo! I'm in Indy doing a 82 CM450 build, about the same bike. I did rebuild the carbs on mine and was happy with the result. I did have some gas leaking problem before, but now it's fixed. I upgraded to cone air filters and had to adjust the carb for increased air flow. Last time I had it running it was back firing a lot when decreasing speeds. Probably need to still adjust more but now I also bought new mufflers so the back pressure may have changed too.

I think these older bikes sit for long periods and build up dirt in the carbs. I wouldn't be afraid of opening it up and cleaning. Just take very good note/ pics to put back exactly the way it was. Hell I took apart a transmission out of my F150 just to see how it worked! Not really that hard if you have the tool and space to work.
That’s awesome man .cool to meet another Hoosier also lol .iv been looking into rebuilding them.i have only rode the bike twice since I got it .I want to make sure it’s “safe” before riding more .so I’ll prob dive into the carbs some time this week, and Yeha from what Iv read you need to adjust those bad boys again lol .do you have the sync tool that it my next “yob” is to build one of those . But awesome on the bike man I want to see it lol .most of my free time since I got the bike is just reading things on here

81 cm400c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

are you running stock jets

81 cm400c

·
Registered
353 Posts
My plan was to bring it into work to adjust the carb when the weather allows. I work at a racing engineering company. This week my goal is to finish gas tank paint and make a seat so this weekend I can make a new wiring harness. Carb is not too bad, just a little out, but I got to pick my battles right now. That will come later. I don't remember if I put in new larger jets for the cone filters. I would guess I didn't. So I'll probably need to sometime soon and balance the mixture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My plan was to bring it into work to adjust the carb when the weather allows. I work at a racing engineering company. This week my goal is to finish gas tank paint and make a seat so this weekend I can make a new wiring harness. Carb is not too bad, just a little out, but I got to pick my battles right now. That will come later. I don't remember if I put in new larger jets for the cone filters. I would guess I didn't. So I'll probably need to sometime soon and balance the mixture.
Ohh bet do you work for true motorsports that the only one I know lol but I’m from NC so I know more shops there lol

81 cm400c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I work at Bo-mar Industries in Indianapolis. It's a general engineering company mostly in construction, but we do a lot of racing parts because the owner does drag racing. After hours I can work on personal stuff:D
That is pretty dang awesome man lol and pretty dang American !!!!

81 cm400c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Killaguapo666 I suggest you start a post on your bike in the project log section so we can see progress on your bike. It's great to have so many Indiana projects on the forum.
Yeha that’s the plan I just want to have stuff to do to it first

81 cm400c

1 - 20 of 20 Posts