Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, just recently picked up a 1969 CB 350 (K0 I believe) for 1000 in somewhat running condition. It was previously haphazardly converted into a cafe racer before but not shown much love since then.

I bought this bike because I've always thought it was cool to have an Hipster bike. I'll be the first to admit that I'm somewhat hipster, but I wanted a challenge and a project to wrench on (My 1996 BMW M3 was just rear-ended and totaled and no longer have the heart to continue to rebuild another).

Objectives are:
1) learn about motorcycles and all their components in its entirety
2) get my hands dirty
3) have a sweet bike to ride around in and get coffee with.

I understand this forum is a wealth of information and I would love to have input and feedback and HELP along the way.

So the game plan is:

1) Strip the bike down to the frame and figure out seating configuration; then powder coat frame
2) Rebuild the engine
3) Replant engine
4) Replace all necessary components (trying to stay minimalist as possible)
5) Figure out font suspension; rebuild forks vs thinking about doing a front end swap with a GSXR likely
6) Figure out rear suspension; likely will replace
7) ... etc
8) ... etc (I'll figure out more of this as I go along the way)

My budget for this build is about 4000 dollars. (I already spent 1K on the bike).
I hope to keep this as a diary/log for all my achievements and MISTAKES I'll make and hopefully it will be helpful to someone in the future.

EDIT: Forgot to Mention I am in San Diego, California. Hoping to connect with some locals eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That is a fine looking little bike! Congrats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sweet bike! I have almost completed my first full engine year down and rebuild. If you already intend to do that, it's a great experience to learn exactly how the engine operates. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Before you go crazy with stripping things down and making modification the general rule is too get it running well 1st.

Ride it for a bit so you can understand what you have.

Then you can decide on modifications for your café project.
The are lots of Café type modification that LOOK really cool but make the bike REALLY uncomfortable to ride.
It would be a shame to get all done only to find out you hate riding it.

The good news is yours has not been overly modified from what I can see in the pic's.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What he said, nice bike. I would ride it for a while to see if I really like that bike.
Riding it will tell you what you need to do to make it your own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts