Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long search for a classic Honda, I finally found her, a CB450K5. If think she's beautiful and that we're made for each other. I found her in a barn, making her a "barn find"!

The mentioned barn...

A nice bath improved matters...

The PO gave up on riding the bike after he suffered a broken handlebar whilst riding (!!!). He managed not to crash and he installed some other handlebar just so he could move it by hand. He also removed all the wiring from the old handlebar by cutting it in half. :shock:

I can see small bodges and stripped screw heads all over; she's had a hard life... The paint was ok but the front brake reservoir leaked on the tank, the forks have no damping, the front brake is dry, the mufflers are rotten, the handlebar is from some moped and all the chrome is scratched. However everything is pretty much there and the engine is loose.

What I really need to get the ball rolling is a set of mufflers (trying to get some copies made locally) and a used handlebar. Anybody got one? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hugo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good luck, man! They're a unique bike and can be full of suprises. Looks like a good starting point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hugo good luck with it. I too am just starting my project bike CB400t (1978). What has caught my eye on yours is the color green. The guy before me had painted mine along the same color. Does that look like an original color on yours and do you know if green was a typical color of the Hondas back then? you can see mine on thread "My first pictures CB400t"

Thanks again and Good luck.
;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
CB450 K4 - available in Valley Green Metallic

CB450 K5 - available in Candy Bacchus Olive

CB450 K6 - available in Tyrolean Green Metallic

Since the stripes are missing on your tank, I suggest it has been repainted.......

·
Registered
363 Posts
id guess no, looks like parachute cord. although waxed thread was used in wiring harnesses prior to the zip tie I found no sign of it on my 450. military equipment and aviation stuff is right full of it.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
i got your PM hugo. i'll measure up my k4's for you. they are collecting dust in my apartment and there yours if you want them. again i'll get back to you tonight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot, uhohferris! I'll be waiting to hear from you.

In the mean time I've done a bit more work. I've painted the tool box (rusty) and the engine mounts (rusty and oversprayed with engine silver paint), started tearing apart the front brake, and ordered new tires and battery. The seat looks good on the outside but I started feeling the frame on one side and it felt like something was crumbling away, like cracker biscuits. At first I thought it was old foam but it's not, it's the side of the actual metal frame! :shock: It doesn't seem to be structurally important so I'll leave it alone for now.

Here's a detail of my messed up shift pedal. Cracked, ovalized and with one bolt head on one side...

...and two different bolt threads on the other! Is this stock? :)

Hugo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there any generic/universal mufflers that'll fit a CB450 without too much hassle?

I'm having difficulty finding replacements for my rotten mufflers. There are a few on ePay but the overall cost with shipping is too much considering their so-so condition...

Hugo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned the carbs and stripped the front caliper. It looks much better after I blasted it in my homemade sand blaster.

I've managed to remove the brake pads but the piston seems to be stuck in the caliper. Are there any tricks for removing a stuck piston?

Hugo

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Pump it out with the master.... (messy, so put it in a bucket, piston aimed down preferably at a rag cushion)

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
....then air pressure would be your next best bet.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Actually,.....A grease gun works rather well...........Once the rubber parts are out, gasoline or other solvent cleans it up nicely.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
throw the whole thing in a bucket and spray liberally with pb blaster or your favorite penetrating oil every time you think of it for a few days, then heat the casting with a heat gun and the brake line should walk right out with vice grips. the soaking should help the piston free up too. we leave cans of spray all over the back forty, strategically placed near any busted junk we plan on taking apart later.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fosga-se!!! Eles há gajos com sorte!!

Where the hell in Portugal did you find such a beautyful and rare bike??

Good luck with the project, you'll need it.

Se precisares de alguma coisa do UK , apita. I'm rebuilding 2 CB500T and I've got a few spares if you need anything.

Hugo Pereira

1 - 20 of 134 Posts