Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always wanted a vintage motorcycle and finally took the plunge a few days ago. I drove a few hours in a buddies truck (there were no cb350s near me and I had my heart set on one) and bought one in really good condition. This is my first motorcycle and I have no idea what I am doing. It is running rich which I'm pretty sure I can fix, I have been reading a lot about carbs lately. The real problem is that I can't shift it into third when riding it (and when it is just sitting). Second works but the shifter lever doesn't bounce back and then click up into third. Any ideas why? Also I'll take any cb350 knowledge you want to throw at me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First off hello and welcome, second make sure the battery is fully charged. Third make sure the shifting linkage is oiled and tight. Fourth make sure you have new oil in the engine, and lastly change the plugs. Theres a list of steps on here for beginners to follow, your problems could be numerous things with these old hondas. Try these out, and if it doesnt solve the problems let us know. Have fun with the bike, and you will learn to enjoy working on it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm right there with you- Just got a 350 last spring and finally got it running. As far as the shifting, I find that my clutch is pretty finnicky when it comes to shifting, so make sure its adjusted properly (pulling the lever completely disengages the motor). I also get stuck shifting into neutral, sometimes you have to let the bike roll a bit in gear and then switch, as it tends to stick. In the end, you may need to check the transmission for wear - mine is fine with over 20k miles on it, but the PO drove like a grandma. The cylinders were never broken in correctly because of this (you have to really beat the snot out of them in the beginning). I'll be interested to see what you do in terms of it running rich, mine is as well though it has stock jets.
I've found this to be an extremely valuable learning experience, after I realized that I could treat my bike like a grown up lego set (cost is about the same these days). Just be careful if you tinker and then drive- check obvious things- drive chain tension, always check brakes before you ride, etc. I'd also suggest checking swingarm give. If it can move side to side, it is unsafe to ride.
Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts