Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found an aftermarket wheel/rim that's a direct replacement for the wheels on either of these bikes?

1980 Honda CM400A Hondamatic
1982 Honda CM450A Hondamatic

The tire sizes on these two bikes are the same, but there are slight differences to the (rear) drum brake pads.
I don't need/want wider or larger than stock (I've got new KENDA spare rubber in my stash). I don't care about what the rims look like.

I'm wondering if there's something I can buy off the shelf that'll work without any (or much) modification, or if I'm stuck trying to source a used part.
My concern is what I'm going to do with the rear wheels once the drum brake wears through the rim/wheel, or the comstar "spokes" go out of spec.
I want to ride these bikes until I die, or I can't find replacement parts - whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's nothing like that I'm aware of. Considering how little most people use the rear brake I don't think wear is really an issue, I've seen original brake shoes on 40 year old 50K mile bikes and the linings look great for thickness. I wouldn't ride it more than 10 feet but they looked great.
A couple of options to consider would be the solid cast wheels from the CB450SC, 19"front 16" rear. Downside is you'll need a custom made front sprocket for the offset.
Another would be to switch over to spoke wheels like the E model rear and a CB350G front wheel. Spokes are fairly easy to find or get made.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts