Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone. My names James, I'm from the Pittsburgh area, and I'm the new owner of a 1971 Honda CB350. I got the bike from a buddy who bought it, and realized it wasn't for him. Having some issues with it dying at idle. I'm hoping someone can assist. Glad to join the communiy!

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to the group James. Going to need some more info here to diagnose/help. How familiar are you with carbs? Although tons of things could cause it to die at idle, my guess would be a carb issue. Do you have a field service manual? How does the bike run otherwise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the immediate response! A little background. He bought the bike in September, I rode it a couple times up and down the street, and it was fine. He put it in the garage a week after that, and didn't touch it again. The battery was left in the bike over the winter, as was a half gallon of gas. I just put Motorbatt AGM battery in, drained the gas, and put a fresh gallon in. The bike starts immediatlu from the kickstart, and drives fine. It idles around 1200, then slowly drops, and then dies out if I don't use the throttle. In addition, I hear a rattling, which sounds like it's coming from the right side of the bike.

I'm not familiar with working on carbs, nor do I have a field manual as of today.

Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just sent you a PM re the manual. Here is a good place to start: https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/5...n/18505-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

This can be a little overwhelming, but I would just work down the list at your own pace. You will learn a lot about your bike and get familiar with the maintenance processes. Hard to say what the rattling is, but if you post a video, someone might be able to diagnose.

Bike looks sharp and I dig the custom looks without removing the air boxes. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the Idle RPM ?
These bikes need an Idel RPM of between 1,100 & 1,300 RPM.

From there you need to do a BASIC New to You Check List of the systems.
FUEL
ELECTRICAL
etc.

Hi, the bike idles around 1200 rpms, but that drops below 1000 after 15 seconds, then drops further and dies out. I then have to wait like 15 min to get the bike to turn back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts