Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New user to the forum. I just picked up my first bike...a 1974 Honda cb200. Im just trying to get to know the bike and have been reading through manuals and stuff. Im new to all this, so at times its like another language! I have one question I was hoping someone could answer for me (and sorry if its a stupid question!): I'm looking at the 4 valve adjuster covers and trying to figure out which two are the "exhaust valves" and which are the "intake valves"? Im figuring that the exhaust valves are the two in the front of the engine (near where the exhaust headers are!) and the intake valves are in the back of the engine (near where the carburetors are). Is that right? I included a picture (its not my exact bike) to help show what i mean.

THANKS!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Yep....that's correct..... Just take all four off if you intend to adjust the valves....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, it is nice...unfortunately, it's not mine! haha. it's just a stock photo i found to include with my post. my doesn't look nearly that good--yet. hopefully some day soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just another quick check on the valve stuff. i'm into the adjustment right now (i figure it's a good place to start on this bike). i took off all 4 caps, and started to manually rotate the engine counterclockwise. i watched the INTAKE valve on the left cylinder...it went down, then started to come back up. I stopped turning the engine when the intake valve was all the way up again (and the T mark on the flywheel was in line with the notch on the crankcase). in this position, i adjusted the tappet clearance on BOTH the intake and the exhaust valves for that cylinder. then i turned the engine one full time around and repeated the same process on the right cylinder...

is this the correct procedure? it seems to be given the instructions i have in my manuals, but i wanted to make sure i was reading it correctly...
thanks.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You're doing well so far......Keep it up....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, 66spirit! long way to go, but so far so good...thanks for confirming that i did the valve adjustment right. didn't want to mess that up right off the bat...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts