Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new member with a 1976 CB200, and I have a question or two.

Very briefly, the bike is in great condition. I suspect it was very carefully restored in about 1990, then lovingly looked after, and hardly used, if at all. It is a delight to ride, but I need to catch up with its maintenance.

I want to adjust the tappets and cam chain tensioner, but when I removed the bottom screw of the generator cover a tiny “O” ring appeared followed by oil. Not knowing how much oil I could lose, I put the screw back quickly.

I have three questions...

1) Is it OK to remove the bottom screw? (Maybe I will lose a bit of oil, and then it will stop.)

2) Do you have any hints and tips about tappet and cam chain tensioner adjustment? (Have a couple manuals, so I know the basics.)

3) Is there a member with a CB200 or similar not too far away from Huntingdon in the UK?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Hi,

I'm over in Worcester, with a Cb175. I also have a CB200 engine, in pieces in the shed at the moment.

Both engines the same so far as tappet and can chain adjustment go.

Oil in the stator case is normal. If you put the bike on the centrestand, then put some packing under the left stand leg so that the bike leans slightly to the left, the oil will cease dripping, unless the engine has been overfilled. Obviously, don't lean it over so far that it falls over !

Cam chain adjustment is simply a matter of slackening and retightening the lock bolt and nut. Allows the spring loaded plunger to release and take up the slack in the cam chain. Remember to tighten bolt before rotating engine.

Tappets done as per manual. Don't get confused between metric and imperial feeler gauges. Tappets are set at 0.05mm or 0.002 inches. (Check with manual in case I've just had a senior moment!) An 8mm ring spanner and a tappet key are required, don't try anything daft with needle nose pliers and an open ended spanner. Engine cold, obviously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the very helpful reply.

I have just one query. You suggest "packing under the left stand leg so that the bike leans slightly to the left". Do you mean lean slightly to the right?

Regards,

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, left leg. A bit of old shelf about one inch thick is good enough to keep the oil from draining. You will need to mop up just a few drops when the cover comes off. The bike will lean to the right if you are facing the front. Richard is looking at the headlight. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Said I was having a senior moment. :roll:

Reactions: Quixote

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

A 1 inch block under the centre stand's left foot kept the bike quite stable, and kept the engine oil where it's supposed to be (apart from a few drops).

I couldn't find a torque setting for the cam chain adjuster, so I did it finger tight then added a quarter turn. Nothing has gone bang in the last hundred miles, so I guess that's okay.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts