Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been snooping around the site for a few days and this looks like a great resource.

Last Friday I picked up a '71 CB 350 twin for $775 and towed it home. The bike is pretty complete, but wasn't running. The kid had the carb linkage all screwed up and the r-side intake valve screwed down so tight that the right cylinder was only showing 25 psi (compared to 150 psi on the left).

After setting the linkage right and setting valve clearance and timing it now fires on first kick (or the slightest touch of the starter button) so I'm feeling pretty hopeful (check out the video below).

I searched the archives a little, but couldn't quite find an answer to a question I have. I have the metal fork sleeves, and I was looking to replace them with rubber gaiters, does anyone have any info on that? Common? Easy? Part numvers?

I'm glad to be here and hope to learn from y'all.

-Jim

(

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hi all,
I have been snooping around the site for a few days and this looks like a great resource.

Last Friday I picked up a '71 CB 350 twin for $775 and towed it home. The bike is pretty complete, but wasn't running. The kid had the carb linkage all screwed up and the r-side intake valve screwed down so tight that the right cylinder was only showing 25 psi (compared to 150 psi on the left).

After setting the linkage right and setting valve clearance and timing it now fires on first kick (or the slightest touch of the starter button) so I'm feeling pretty hopeful (check out the video below).

I searched the archives a little, but couldn't quite find an answer to a question I have. I have the metal fork sleeves, and I was looking to replace them with rubber gaiters, does anyone have any info on that? Common? Easy? Part numvers?

I'm glad to be here and hope to learn from y'all.

-Jim
Hi Jim, and welcome. Overall the engine sounds good. FYI, note that the valve adjusters have an "arrow" on one side of the slotted end of the threaded shaft where the lock nut is. These marks are supposed to point forward on the exhaust valve adjusters and backward on the intake adjusters (essentially outward, away from the engine) to properly position the eccentric aspect of the adjustment shafts, in case you were not aware of it. this positions the rocker arms properly with respect to the cam lobes. Also, it sounds like the carbs aren't synced quite right when it starts - it might be running more strongly on one cylinder at idle, which could mean it just needs adjustment or possibly the carbs have some degree of clogged passages. As for fork boots, or gaiters, there are at least a couple sellers here who offer them but I don't believe they will be an exact fit due to the hardware involved in the metal covers. Lots of people here with 350s, others will weigh in and lots of knowledge is available for your bike and situation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, I'll look at those valve adjusters tonight - I was not aware and they are most likely off. And the carbs are definitely hosed, the kid I bought the bike from said he rebuilt them so, given what I saw of the young man's handiwork with the throttle linkage I'm pretty sure he might have missed a few things inside the carbs (it'll idle but won't come off idle without stalling).

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmmm . . . that's interesting . . . but I'm having trouble understanding this . . . what if the proper clearance of .002 leaves that mark pointing in a different direction? Placing that mark pointing to the outside affects the lash, so how can you adjust the clearance and also have that mark pointing in a particular direction?

EDIT: Never mind, the light just blinked on in my head. I was thinking that this adjuster was like the ones that you normally see on the end of the rocker arm, but this setup must be on some kind of eccentric.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hmmm . . . that's interesting . . . but I'm having trouble understanding this . . . what if the proper clearance of .002 leaves that mark pointing in a different direction? Placing that mark pointing to the outside affects the lash, so how can you adjust the clearance and also have that mark pointing in a particular direction?

EDIT: Never mind, the light just blinked on in my head. I was thinking that this adjuster was like the ones that you normally see on the end of the rocker arm, but this setup must be on some kind of eccentric.
The Honda manual doesn't even mention a particular direction, and the assembly portion just says "install", as well as the Clymer manual. Went through this last week. The only guidance regarding this is a photo, showing a range of adjustment through 180 degrees, for left and right sides.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is the section of the manual I have showing how they should be pointed (away from the points). See Fig. 4-20.
I don't havd any of this text in my Honda manual. That's weird.
Also, step 3 is missing in yours, or am I blind. It REFERS to 3, but, don't see it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts