Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm introducing myself from way up here in Edmonton, AB, Canada. I'm currently in the "herding" stage of classic motorcycle ownership, having collected to this point a 1978 GS750, 1994 GN125, and my Hondas - a 1979 CB400A, 77CB400F, and most recently what appears to be a 1965 CP77.

I bought the CP77 for $200 this week, and it is currently the bike I am most enamored with.

10644964_10154580199930523_6897049121891579811_n.jpg

After getting it home, I took the tank off (Which appears to be from a CL77, not a CP77) and found the little tag on the wiring harness, which showed that it was from 64. Stuff I've read seems to indicate harnesses are generally dated the year prior to the actual machine. Other than that, the carbs were pretty gummed up, and I realized there was no signal light tie in. The dipstick showed what appeared to be new oil, and although the motor did turn over, it didn't run. Oh, of course the bike is missing the stator cover and both side covers, but I can worry about that later.

I took the carbs off, cleaned them up, and put them back on. Suddenly I had a lot more action when the starter was pressed, but now the left cylinder was actually backfiring through the carb. Crazy. I can only assume the timing is screwed, the carbs need to be balanced (no clue how to do this) or at very worst the exhaust valve is buggered. Jeez I hope not.

Maybe the thing just needs new points? I'm going to be taking the cover off and checking that out later today or tomorrow.

If any of you have any suggestions, please fire them my way.

Oh, in the meantime, I am definitely looking for any manual scans any of you may have. Especially anything that can show me how to deal with this timing or balancing issue.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome... whatcha plan to do? Cafe? Restore? Custom?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts