Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just bought a nice '81 CM400a about a week ago! Will be starting the Basic Checklist as recommended by Long Distance Rider. Great info there. Have tires on order, the ones on the bike were made in '06! Along with that have some cable lube and other things on order. One thing i noticed is an oil leak from the right side case area. It drips onto the crossover and burns. Smells like my old '70 chevy blazer! I ordered the the two R. case gaskets and the kickstart shaft seal.
On the right side case I can't tell if you HAVE to remove the outer cover first or if you can just remove the inner cover and leave the outer attached? I plan on making the seal change easy by removing the cover and not trying to "pick it out" the seal.
I also have an issue with the choke cable. I'm going to be servicing all the cables, but not sure if the choke cable is broken. Under the pull knob, there's a round plastic collar that is not attached to anything. If I pull up on the choke this plastic collar usually goes with it and the choke won't stay engaged unless I slide this collar back down. I don't see any threads on this piece, maybe it snaps down in place and i haven't pushed on it hard enough. I also see some notches that locate the choke in certain positions but I don't feel any detent engagement keeping it in any of them.
Lastly, I'd like to check the balancer chain adjustment but I've read that on the "A" models you have to remove the torque converter to gain access. There was a thread that mentioned to not even attempt unless you have the FSM because putting the torque converter back on is tricky?

Appreciate any insight and guidance on these items, yeah i need to pick up a copy of the Service Manual. The one I downloaded is missing some sections...the ones i need!

Thanks
Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Not sure where you got the manual but, just in case, PM sent.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I believe he needs the 'A' supplement, J-T. He only downloaded the manual manual.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
On the A model yes you have to remove the torque converter to check or change the balance chain tension. To replace the torque converter you have to line up two shafts and three gears in a blind hole. The FSM explains how to do this. I have worked on several and it will slide in easy if everything is correct. If you have to try to force it something is not lined up so just take your time. I had one I spent several hours on then walked away from it. The next day it slid right on ??????

Good luck. Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the manual link guys, and Bill thanks for the quick rundown on how thats to be done!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Sounds like everything is under control. The choke cable is broken at the plastic housing, normal. Just need a new one and when tightening the 17mm nut use your fingers, not a wrench.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Longdistancerider, thanks for verifying that my choke cable housing is broken. One less cable to service I guess. Will heed your advice on installation!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts