Honda Twins banner

New to me 1970 CB350K2

483 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ancientdad 
#1 ·
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Picked up an all there but needs everything 1970 CB350 a month or so ago. Other than the rusted apes previous owner put on all else seems intact and original. My plan (it's ever changing) is 1- running 2- safe mechanicals 3- cosmetics if desired (cuz I like patina and costs less$)

It has been a challenge and fought me on everything so far but it's been very enjoyable. I've replaced some ignition components, static timed, adj cam chain tensioner, set lifter gap, rebuilt noisy starter, rebuilt both carbs and got lights working. The HondaTwins forum has been great source to date!

My first forum question: I pulled off the larger starter sprocket (behind stator) and found heavy grooving in the bronze bushing inside it. It looks so uniform I almost think its supposed to be there. Any opinion if this bushing is normally smooth or channeled. My suspicion is smooth. Crankshaft has light brown coloring where bushing rests but does not appear to be grooved or scored.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice find. I would get it running and reliable and leave it just the way it is, great little time capsule of a bike. Not sure about the grooving, someone who knows will be along shortly. I suspect you would find metal bits nearby had that occurred inside your case.

#3 ·
I didn't see any metal but that doesn't mean none was around. Other than the bars I very well may keep it like it is other than a good cleaning and sprucing up. The bars are super rusted and I have correct bars already and std length cables on the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.