Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just discovered (another) something cool about this bike. The engine/frame numbers match. I know it's pretty common for them to not match. On my CL350 they don't, although I know as fact that it's the original engine. I've read that it's considered okay, even by purists, if the numbers are relatively close. Just thought I'd share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
I just discovered (another) something cool about this bike. The engine/frame numbers match. I know it's pretty common for them to not match. On my CL350 they don't, although I know as fact that it's the original engine. I've read that it's considered okay, even by purists, if the numbers are relatively close. Just thought I'd share.

The engine number will always be higher than the frame number. As long as the both have the same 1st number you're good. IE: CL350-4******* and CL350E-4*******
The reason the engines are higher is that they get numbered during engine assembly and some get removed from the assembly line for QC check and destructive testing purposes.
An exact number match makes me think that the engine was replaced at a dealer for some reason, replacements weren't numbered I don't think.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I would argue that the numbers aren't always higher. You could be right, I've never checked, but I think the only given with these things is that nothing is a given. I know that I have a 1-owner, 2xxx mile bike, bought from the original owner, and I have the original title and bill of sale from the dealer. I didn't ask if the engine had been replaced, but with 2xxx miles, I doubt it. I'd have to have alot more proof before I'd believe that it's not original.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just checked my CL350, and the engine number is indeed higher, by 60,483. I'm not sure what the production numbers were for 350 Hondas in 1972, but that sounds like a lot of QC and destructive testing. This is a bike that I know the original owner of personally, with 29xx miles, and I guarantee that the engine was never replaced.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's unbelievable how much harder parts are to find for a 450, vs a 350. I decided to take a chance on an aftermarket gasket set since not alot is available from Honda. Can't find a rear tank rubber, either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I ordered a gasket set from Topendgaskets.com through Amazon. Got it in less than 24 hours, and the few I've checked, the cam chain tensioner and cam covers, seem to be perfect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the cam chain tensioner freed up and reinstalled with a new gasket. Adjusted the valves. Set the points but haven't timed them yet. Picking up a new battery tomorrow, and I'll order a new petcock then. I've been searching for bulk 5.5mm fuel line with no luck. I'd like to buy a whole roll. Also 3.5mm for the carb drains. Any ideas where I could buy bulk hose?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This thing is not far from starting. Got the points timed today and installed the new battery. Have really strong spark on both plugs. Ordered a new petcock and picked up new fuel line. I'll probably start on the carbs next week. Haven't figured out the air filters yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I cleaned the oil filter today, and I always like to replace o-rings. It's cheap, easy insurance. According to Bike Bandit, Partzilla, and CMSNL, the 3 o-rings are 57.8x2.4, 41x2, & 63x2mm. I didn't have any of them in my shop. I went through my gasket set, and 2 of them were in there. The biggest one wasn't. No clue why, but I'll order a pack of each, and replace the last one later. I filled the oil after and spun the engine a few times. Checked the compression again. Got 170 cold on the right, and 150 on the left, but the left side took a few more spins to get there. Might have a ring stuck. Hope it gets better when I start it and get it hot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Getting closer! I feel like I should smear gunk all over this to make it look old. I wish "patina" came in a can.

Reactions: nigelrharris03

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Just a bump to show off my Handy lift table that I just picked up used. Haven't touched the 450 all winter, but all that's left are the carbs and air filters. Why is my pic sideways?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Ok. I've been extremely busy for the last year. Last 5 years really. But all I have left to do on this 450 is clean the carbs and sort out the air filters. I found time today to disassemble both carbs. Getting ready to to soak them in Berryman. Is a kit available from Honda, or do I go with aftermarket parts? Both bowl gaskets broke on removal, but the diaphragm o-rings came out . The floats and valves look good. All I really can't do without is the bowl gaskets, and the o-rings on the adjusters. I assume these were o-rings at some point, but they look and feel like hard plastic now. Whaddaya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, it's coming apart. Not going back totally stock, but not far from it. Going mild custom. Ikon shocks coming, and a custom seat & new bars should be here this week. When I get the look pinned down, apart it comes for paint and chrome. New electronic ignition system and new stator. SS spokes on either new rims or these rechromed. I retired 4/1 so I have a lot more time.
1594863706707476464735908414164.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Trial fitted the new bars & clamps, and new Ikon shocks. Looks good. Waiting on my seat. Should be here in a week or two. Then I roll it off the lift and try out the fit. Then it all comes apart.
20200718_144902.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My new seat! Haven't got my hands on it yet, but it's in the mail. My pan was good, so it's been blasted and painted, with new foam & custom cover.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts