Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're still out there, folks. I was listening to the local AM radio "swap shop" this past Monday, and a guy calls in with a "'73 Honda Scrambler." I immediately called for details, thinking it was something I would pass on. No title, whatever. He tells me it's a 450. Ok, I'm interested. Then he says he's the original owner, and, of course, he has the title. Now I'm really interested. "How much?" $650. Ok, I can be late for work. This is why I keep $100 in my wallet at all times. It was a 40 mile round trip, and I wasn't even late for work after. Picked it up Tuesday. Non-runner. Last registered in '78. 2000+ miles, even original tires. Tank, seat pan, exhaust are all good. I pulled the float bowls and they are clean. Seat cover is trash. This is probably the most original barn find I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read that checklist earlier. Pretty much what I've always done. I'm seriously considering getting another set of wheels, so I can keep the original tires for show. A good cleaning is all I'm planning for now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow, that’s an amazing find. Congratulations! It sounds like you’re really aware of the original condition, so it’s probably useless to say, but: Please keep it original!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Doode Noooooo......:cry:

Reactions: doode

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
If I leave now I can be there with my trailer in 18 hours driving straight thru ;-)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think this one is a keeper. I sold one a few years back, exactly the same bike, but in blue. Sold it to finance my '79 GS 1000, and always regretted it. It was a little nicer than this one. I think I'll take the summer to revive it, put new tires on it, clean it up, etc. No hurry.

The original Dunlops.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is the blue one I sold a few years back. I think if I decided to paint the red one, I would go with this blue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I seriously considered having a pro restore this one, but the price scared me off. So I got to work on this thing today. Drained the oil. Pulled the tank, carbs, boots, and filters. Pulled the cam covers and stator cover. Points cover. Sometime next week I'll adjust the valves, then the timing and points. Clean the oil filter. Clean and reinstall the carbs. Sort out the air filters. Lube the cables. Maybe pull the cam chain adjuster and check it. Fresh oil. New battery. Hit the button and see what happens. If it runs out okay, I'll get new tires, tubes, and rim strips. New seat cover. If life and work don't interfere, maybe by fall I'll have a rideable bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am finishing that exact bike now. I started on it thinking that I would simply clean it up, get it running and ride it but the more I cleaned the more I realized it needed to be taken down to the frame. It will now have a newly painted frame, new wheel bearings, tires, tubes, fork seals and boots, cables, brakes, regulator/rectifier, coils/points/condenser and many small bits. 5 gallons of evaporust and some buffing make it shine. It won’t be a trailer queen but a very nice rider that will be safe and fun. Take MANY pictures if you take it all the way down. I have had 7 or 8 450s over the years but disassembly/reassembly is harder than doing maintenance and component work! Reg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is looking more and more like a total teardown for paint and chrome, but I seem to have a good engine, so I'll leave it alone for now. I have 150psi on both cylinders cold, and it hasn't been started in years. I've got the cam chain adjuster out now, but I checked the LT/cam marks first, and they were spot-on. When I'm done with the adjuster, I'll do the tappet adjustment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that the cam chain seemed really loose, so I pulled the tensioner, and it was stuck pretty hard. A little heat, along with a little penatrant and a tap or two and it's apart. A little Scotchbrite on the shaft and it's good as new. I'll replace the seal or o-ring while it's off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this an o-ring or a cup seal, or what? I have metric o-rings, but I don't want to pick it out of there until I know what I'm dealing with.

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
I've never looked for, or replaced one, ever - and haven't ever had one leak either, but maybe it's just luck. Did you look at cmsnl.com or partzilla to see if one is listed?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at Bike Bandit, they didn't show a part. Haven't checked the others. There's no oil pressure on it, so it'll probably be fine. And it's easy enough to pull again if it leaks. Maybe I'll chance it. Thanks.

·
Banned
13,085 Posts
I looked at Bike Bandit, they didn't show a part. Haven't checked the others. There's no oil pressure on it, so it'll probably be fine. And it's easy enough to pull again if it leaks. Maybe I'll chance it. Thanks.

I agree, but secondarily those two are good places to look even just for research because they have everything on fiches like Honda. It would show if it even existed

1 - 20 of 41 Posts