Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Currently shopping for a twin , Helping a friend with a 65 CB160
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted a 305 Scrambler , all the kids in high school with money had one , I had a CT90 ... I just acquired a 1966 CL77 and it looks like it will take some time to get it right. I am not into cosmetic perfection, however I am nuts for things being correct and operating as they were designed. This bike needed to be rescued, it's pretty much all there but I am a little uncertain about some things. The gas tank on this bike is smooth and has no provision for the emblems. I am certain this is incorrect but would like someone that knows these bikes to tell me. I see seamed tanks and tanks without seams. No idea what is correct. I am really confused on the exhaust. I thought all bikes had the collector / resonator / muffler from new but I have been told that is not the case. Any guidance greatly appreciated. It's amazing the things I don't know about these. I have other Hondas also , 71 CB750, 70/77/79 Trail 90's , 82 FT500 Ascot .. Love the bikes... Thanks , Jeff

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The earlier tank is smooth, no seams in the center, the last production run of CL77s had a seam down the center and no fuel crossover hose. Someone has apparently got out their trowel and body filler to fill in the badge depressions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One of the best sounding bikes with the straight pipes.....then you need some snuff or nots so you can ride past the town cop and not get busted. Great memories. Read the story about the guys riding two of them down baja and starting the legacy of the baja 1000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda production of the CL72 250cc Scram began in 1962 and morphed into the CL77 305cc ending in 1967 with sales continuing into 1968.
In the day, it was common to bondo over the emblem depressions and either cut off and, or bondo over the knee pad flanges as I did to my 1963, when I was in High School in 1970. Still have, or I should say my son has, the bike. Today, my son and I wish I had left the tank stock. If your knee pads are there and the emblem / badge mounting flange is just buried under the bondo u may be able to salvage the tank - if you want original condition. Mike in idaho is correct about the seam dating.
The early CLs were sold WITHOUT mufflers, but the Man cracked down on that - party pooper. Of course many guys just took it off. So the 1967s were welded on. Snuff-Or-Nots can usually be found on ebay - I think they're cool. Most folks agree that with or without a muffler these bikes are one of the best sounding mc's.
A great resource for these Hondas is Bill Silver, "Mr Honda". He has a very comprehensive compilation of all kinds of info on the CL72 & 77. It has been extremely valuable to me. He sells the package for about $60 or so. Each of your ?s herein are addressed in detail in this package.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The earlier bikes had baffles, inserted into the pipes

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Folk instrument Font

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, as I recall "the earlier bikes had baffles inserted into the pipes" (my 63 has), and the pipes looked like the photo at the top of this page. Thanks Mike for clarifying that. I see the baffles occasionally on ebay.
By muffler, I was referring to the bolt- on and later weld-on assembly in the last years of production, as is my 1967.
Disclaimer: My experience is limited to the 3 years I rode and rebuilt my 63 beginning in 1970; and a lot of time over the last couple of years researching info for working on my son's 63 and my 67, that I bought 18 mounts ago. Point is - one can't take everything on the internet as gospel - do your research.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Of course everyone took the baffles out right away, kind of like the current harly riders. The nice ones were the add on muffler with the orange gasket so you could just unbolt the muffler for "racing". Speaking of that JN Roberts lives in the area and he recalled riding honda scramblers in the california desert before he started riding Huskys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts