Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've only had my CJ360T for a couple of weeks now, so I am still getting used to it. On the ride into work today, I noticed a new noise. It starts at around 5K RPM and doesn't go away until the revs drop to about 3K RPM. It's isn't a start and stop thing at specific revs either, it starts suddenly and then takes a little while to slowly die away... Sometimes it will stick around while I'm idling but then go away after a few seconds until I speed up again.

It sounds just like an electric screwdriver under full load and it's loud enough to hear clearly at 40 mph. I checked the oil and it seems fine, but I'm not sure what else to look at.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Do you know about where it's coming from? Electric screwdriver? Sounds like something that spins is binding up. Tachometer drive?

If it's in the engine maybe the electric starter kickback isn't doing its thing and the motor is getting engaged when it shouldn't?

It does it at idle, so it's not your chain buzzing or your wheel bearings...

Could be your timing chain tensioners?? Hard to tell unless you can isolate where it's coming from.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I'm having trouble locating it as well... I'll spend some more time on it and keep you guy updated.
Initial inspection seems to indicate it's coming from the right side.

Also, no electric starter on this model.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Have you checked your cam chain tension? Valve clearances? Does it go away if you pull the clutch in but keep the revs up?

Always hard to describe and diagnose noise issues on the web. Anyway of getting a sound clip?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll see what I can do about getting a sound clip.
I'm leaning toward luke's idea of something binding... The noise seems to come and go of it's own accord and is only loosely related to the RPMs of the engine. Gear changes, clutch, braking, engine load all seem to have no effect on the noise. It just starts as I'm accelerating and stops (sometimes after a minute or so, sometimes immediately) when I return to idle.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
It could be vibrational noise too. My tail lamp for instance has worn out rubber bushings and at certain RPM it starts to shake like mad and resonate, making a weird buzzing noise..

Just gotta cruise down the road and start moving your legs around to isolate sounds from one side of the engine or another and try to pick it out. If I move my knee away from the tank, I can hear that side of the engine a lot better (like if I want to hear valve tick or the cam chain.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't hear properly with a helmet on, it seems to amplify some sounds.

You might try jacking the rear wheel off the ground and put it in gear in the driveway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check your kickstart, I had the same noise with mine and my kickstart foot was resting against my airbox ever so slightly. The little foot flipped back in too quickly and got stuck there, and it made a noise like what your describing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts