Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two lovely new mufflers for my 1971 CB175 and have waited until the rebuild to catch up to the point where I need to fit them ...which is now.

The new mufflers have the correct hanger bolts that fit the brackets exactly so I'm left wondering if the pipes are correct for the bike.

The diameter of the pipes and the muffler is identical so what to do? Should I try and get a piece of chromed pipe 1mm larger, cut the pipes and slip the new pipe over with clamps?

Here are a couple of pics that show the amount I would have to chop off and should I cut a bit of each?

Thanks all
Charles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You don't have the rear mounts swapped side to side do you? If it were me I would just fab up some new rear mounts that moved things back that far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ What he said.
The problem besides the length is that the muffler will not fit over the down pipes as they are the same 35mm? Any digestion she on how to fit them together? Got the electrics sorted today
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem besides the length is that the muffler will not fit over the down pipes as they are the same 35mm? Any digestion she on how to fit them together? Got the electrics sorted today
Thanks

Damn spell check, was asking "any suggestions" not digestion

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Get 2 lengths of pipe that slip inside the header and the muffler. Slip together then clamp. 5 or 6 inches should be sufficient. Pipes that slip over the outside would also work but, IMHO, inside would be more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get 2 lengths of pipe that slip inside the header and the muffler. Slip together then clamp. 5 or 6 inches should be sufficient. Pipes that slip over the outside would also work but, IMHO, inside would be more aesthetically pleasing.
Thanks I agree inside would look good

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
For a start, those aren't CB175 silencers. They look like CD175 items.

There was a debate in here a little while back, as to whether CB175 down pipes (headers) were the same as CD175 ones, as David Silver lists different part numbers for his pattern down pipes. I'd always assumed that they were identical.

I have Silvers pattern silencers on my CB175. The pattern CB175 down pipes fit these silencers, although I do remember having to trim them down by an inch or so. I have now fitted DS pattern CB silencers to my latest bike. On that one, I have retained the original down pipes, and in common with your observations, found them to be much too long. Soon cut to length with a thin metal cutting disk, they fit snugly into the pattern silencers. If you don't cut the pipes, and bodge the brackets, the dents for the rear axle won't line up.

So, two things occur to me. The silencers you have bought are completely wrong, off another small Honda entirely. Or, CD down pipes are smaller in diameter, which I personally doubt. Maybe a helpful store person at DS would run a caliper over the two flavours of pattern down pipes ?

DS silencers and Honda down pipes

ds pipes.jpg

DS Silencers AND DS downpipes, much more angular in the pipe bends, fit the same, once they've been trimmed (at both ends, flanges in head were too big.)

ds2 pipes.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Richard, Where did you get those clamps? They look real nice....

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Hey Richard, Where did you get those clamps? They look real nice....
They are just standard stainless steel Mikalor exhaust clamps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts