Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 1972 CL175. Runs great with the kick start. Has an oil leak out of the left crank case cover. Hope thats a gasket kit fix. Also the shifter spindle needs adjusting or replacing? Foot shifter doesnt clamp on to spindle. Any help on that would be welcome. Previous owner rode it last week so i think thats a good sign.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
Welcome! I moved this to it's own thread. It might be easier to help if we had a pic or description of why the shifter won't clamp.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, that flat washer on the shifter shaft should be should be slid over against the case with a snap ring to hold it against the shift shaft seal and hold the shaft out. That shaft is in really poor shape shape, you need to source another one, along with the shift lever to replace it.

Reactions: Montanabill

·
Registered
52 Posts
welcome to the group, keep checking and you will learn how to fix everything but a broken heart. Definately do some cleaning and work on getting the shift shaft washer pushed up against the case and seal and put a new snap ring on it.
Then asses how bad the splines are on your shaft. I have had luck with a new shift lever with the tightening slot cut wider with a hacksaw so it can really tighten up. Lacking that and if you have to replace the shift shaft have someone who knows how to weld MIG weld the lever to the shaft (you can easily cut it off with a $10 41/2 angle grinder from harbor freight).
Since it is a new bike to you try to get some riding time in on it before you tear it down for one problem.....their might be more issues. I have ridden bikes for years with welded on shift levers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts