Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Cesar and Im new to the site and to motorcycles, I wanted to upgrade from my scooter and have always wanted a older honda. I found the bike on craigslist for $600, and all I have done was a oil change and handle bar change. The bike runs great but recently its a little hard to go from 1st to nutral so I think it will be time for a new clutch, at the same time it old does it when cold but shifts the rest of the gears fine(any idea?). For a 29 year old bike and $600 its not bad though. I have ordered a headlight visor and new grips, I also have shinned the motor up and put on a new pair of mufflers. Soon to come is a new custom seat.

1981 Honda cm400 custom

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is not releasing, which means it probably needs adjusted, not replaced. Clutch cable could be stretched causing the clutch to not release. Buy a manual and learn how to adjust the clutch, (it's very simple), before you spend the money to replace it. Cable could also be getting ready to break, (probably at the handle). If you pay someone to replace the clutch, they're going to adjust it when they're through, so you'll never know if a simple adjustment, (or cable replacement and adjustment), might have fixed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I did keep the original cables and they were rerouted to work but I think shorter cables is the answer. I personaly am not familiar with motor work so it has to be done by someone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome... $600, I'm jealous!

What is going on... A virtual gaggle of CM400s now!

Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been told the gears on the trans are stripped and I ordered it and it should come soon; at the same time my stepdad bought a 1980 cm400t and it is doing the same thing. We have to kick the bike to neutral from 2nd. Is that the way they are supposed to be before I change the gears?

here is my stepdads bike, he bought it for $700. This is after new paint,seat and shocks.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I gotta do my bike shopping in Chicago! Couldn't come close to anything in that condition for that money around here. Maybe if it barely ran and only one tire held air........................ :roll:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome. I got mine for $400. Not nearly as good shape as your but it runs! Good luck! I have some parts leftover if you need something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts