Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, Im currently working on a 1973 honda cb350, i did an almost full rebuild i stripped everything down, sanded and painted chassis, tore down engine and bored it out first size over with new pistons and piston rings and new gaskets, went through carbs and cleaned out jets, new petcock and fuel lines and fuel filters, new pod filters, and re did the wiring myself with original components its very minimal, no electric start, no cut off switch, no turn signals, no horn. Everything is on the bike and all cables/lines are connected. The spark plugs have a good spark when the bike is on and kicked, and the compression seems to be great.

Now here is my problem, I have filled her up with gas but she still will not seem to start. This was my first build. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Timing right?
Carbs right? - float level, petcock on?

Did you try a small shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner in the carb, see if it fires?

If I had to guess at your problem (I have to as you really have no clear information), you likely have the timing 180 degrees off.

Common problem when redoing engine bits.

Make sure you are on compression stroke for LF, left cylinder points opening. You may be on the exhaust stroke by mistake....easy to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing right?
Carbs right? - float level, petcock on?

Did you try a small shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner in the carb, see if it fires?

If I had to guess at your problem (I have to as you really have no clear information), you likely have the timing 180 degrees off.

Common problem when redoing engine bits.

Make sure you are on compression stroke for LF, left cylinder points opening. You may be on the exhaust stroke by mistake....easy to do.
Ive got good spark when i take out the spark plug and touch the plug to a metal surface on the engine and kick the bike, and it seems like the carbs are filling up with fuel i have clear lines and can see gas fill them petcock is on. i will post a picture of how my timing is set as i'm not sure of the posistions

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
all right, we need to get rid of one of these threads

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Assuming the points cam isn't on wrong (out 180 like Richard said), try some starting fluid to get things going. WD-40 will work in a pinch, too. Or, stick a finger in the carb mouth and hold the slide up a bit as you crank it to let the carb pull some gas up through the large jet. That worked for me when I started mine for the first time after a carb rebuild.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heres a picture of my points, not sure how id rotate them 180? or do i need to open the top up again and rotate the cam shaft 180?
IMG_4074.JPG

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
The points cam is just a sleeve that's held on by the small bolt on the end of the camshaft (in the center of your picture). It will go on two different ways, one of them wrong. If you removed it in the process of your rebuild, it's entirely possible that it was put back on 180 degrees off. Don't ask me how I know...ha ha. Anyway, it's pretty easy to rectify. If you didn't remove it, and it ran before, then your problem is likely somewhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i did remove it, i checked out the points cam and theres only one small notch on the bottom and just one bump on the end of the cam shaft so it can only lock in one way, it wont lock in if flipped 180. so i dont think thats it, i was kicking it a couple times and found my new petcock is clogged already so ill have to drain the tank and de-rust the inside of it. i should of done this before hooking up the gas lines...
Got any tips for de-rusting the inside of a tank?

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts
The actual breaker cam on the advance unit CAN be installed 180 out, OR you may have timed the points at the LF index on the exhaust stroke....Either way, it's an easy fix.....
Phone 540-525-5199, and/or VERIFY compression stroke by the left intake valve closure.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The actual breaker cam on the advance unit CAN be installed 180 out, OR you may have timed the points at the LF index on the exhaust stroke....Either way, it's an easy fix.....
Phone 540-525-5199, and/or VERIFY compression stroke by the left intake valve closure.....
ive kicked my bike with napkins plugging the spark plug holes and it shot them across the room, can this verify that I'm on compression stroke?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Got any tips for de-rusting the inside of a tank?
Copy this text exactly, paste it into the Googlemonster, and press Enter:
Code:
tank cleaning gas OR gasoline OR fuel site:http://www.hondatwins.net
Regards,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey neilnorg welcome to the forum this is an amazing resource and great community the experts on here are amazing so I was reading this thread and it reminded me of a few issues I had a few months back so I'm giving you the link there is some great problem solving and aw some expert advice that may save you time!
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/37785-bike-won-t-start.html

Good luck keep at it it'll come around!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts