Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. My first bike growing up was a 1971 Honda CB100 (Orange), I loved that bike and put what seemed like a million miles on it. I sold that 100 long ago. Fast forward to 2017 and I am only 2 miles from the farm I grew up on in an abandoned farmstead looking for barn wood to make a mantle. I stumble upon this 1971 Honda CL450 in a corn crib. All complete, last registered in 1984. Engine was free and the bike was complete. I knew I wanted to try to buy it. A few weeks later, I stopped by the elderly gentleman's house to ask him about it. He said he bought it new and it hadn't moved in ages. I told him I wanted to buy it and I promised I would resurrect it. He said, "Just take it, see if you can do something with it. I'll look for the keys and title".

This was a year ago (I know, I should have picked up a free bike immediately).

I brought it home last night to begin the soaking everything in WD40 phase. Looking forward to this forum. Cant wait to tear this thing down and get it running again.

(you will notice that awful sissy bar was the first thing to go...)

20190219_174136_resized.jpg
20190219_200527_resized.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome, was the gentleman still around with the keys and title? Cool story.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome, snapcrackle - this is a good introduction, so maybe we just have one of the mods move it there. Great story and great find - looks exactly like the bike I had in high school, without the rack and hideous sissy bar. Good to have you. This is what it looked like new :D

scan0061.jpg

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Be sure to blow out the exhaust system and air cleaner stuff before trying to start it - they'll all be full of rodent detritus and nest stuff.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It was called Candy Orange and the model was CL450K4. I used to call the look of the tank paint the "Batman" stripe. Hopefully the title will turn up and make your life a little easier

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, you cannot make this stuff up... I started looking around for a parts bike or something. Figured it was a long shot. I ended up finding the one in the background just a few miles away from my work. I have twins now! It is locked up, (supposedly only for a couple years). And has a title. I paid $400 and am thrilled. It is missing the air cleaners and turn signals, otherwise fairly complete. The exhaust is leaps and bounds better than my other bike. I filled the cylinders with WD40 and we will wait a few days to see if I can break it free.

I have keys to the original project bike, but the owner has yet to find a title. I do have 5 old registrations from the 1970's.

20190307_191100_resized.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow! Fantastic find Snap! Sounds like it was meant to be.

Welcome to the board and will be following your progress.

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
What do you mean the sissy bar had to go. I had one just like it on my cb450 back in the day. I actually wish i had one for my CB350. Very cool accessory .

·
Registered
480 Posts
Tear down the one with a title and begin a restoration on it, using the best parts from both bikes. Lucky You!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts