Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

I'm Chris, from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. (A bit North and East of Detroit.) I have a poor, neglected 1971 CB350, which has spent the vast bulk of its life in one of many garages. It came from the family of my brother's best friend, 30+ years ago. We grew up here in Sarnia. My brother eventually got it running, and took it with him to another city. Realized bikes weren't as interesting to him as cars, and sold me the CB. I've dragged it along to 3 or 4 different cities. Had it running maybe 15 years ago. That was a watershed time for me. I had ridden an 80's 4 cylinder bike for a number of years, but changing the oil was like brain surgery to me.

When I got the CB, I took it to a shop, where it sat for an entire summer waiting for the mechanic to get to. I payed a princely sum for the work, and after running for a couple of days, it broke down. Pushing it home, I vowed to learn how to do my own work.

Did a little research, and got my 1977 Yamaha XS650, which was simple enough, and had enough of a cult following to provide me with an online community of coaches, and some aftermarket parts availability. I refurbished and rode for a couple of years until kids came along. Both of the bikes sat for 11 years, and this past summer I finally got the XS going again. Rode it this past summer almost every day. Rode it well into December; but it's finally put to bed for the winter.

Thinking it might be time to care for that CB. It's not in great shape; mostly just from neglect. But at least it's been garaged.

And please don't hate me for choosing the XS over the CB. At the time, I thought bigger was better. And the XS community - at least at that point in time - was quite a bit more extensive. But riding the XS has bonded me quite closely to the parallel twin.

Now that I've grown up (coming up on 50), I'm over the "bigger is better" thinking. Thinking the 350 will be light and flickable.

But I need to figure out where to get started. I'll start perusing this forum to get a sense of that. Meanwhile, I'm very happy to receive any and all suggestions from veterans, who may care to share some of their wisdom! :D

Chris Lindsay

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome, and great story. Good to see you kept it and are now ready to give it new life. It will definitely be "flickable" compared to bigger, heavier twins and fours, and it's simple enough that you'll enjoy working on it - and you'll find plenty of friendly help here. Post some pictures and start a build thread so we can follow along.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a 71 CL350 I put together last spring and am in St. Catharines. Perhaps we can meet up in the summer. Kiji is a good place to find parts too. https://www.siriusconinc.com/ is in province with a lot of parts too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks Ancientdad and Crashoverride!

Coupla questions, if I might: i) how the heck does one get the signature to work? I feel like I've searched everywhere; but clearly I've missed something; and ii) is there much difference between CBs and CLs? (Aside from height of pipes, and fenders, and such? Just wondering if mechanicals can be swapped readily.)

Muchos gracias Amigos!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
i) how the heck does one get the signature to work? I feel like I've searched everywhere; but clearly I've missed something; and ii) is there much difference between CBs and CLs? (Aside from height of pipes, and fenders, and such? Just wondering if mechanicals can be swapped readily.)
The signature feature was adjusted a while back to eliminate new (fake) members from spamming. It becomes available after 10 posts.

As for the differences between CB and CL, not too much... they share most parts aside from the obvious visuals. A good way to learn about the bike and parts cross-references is to go to cmsnl.com and pull up each model, then compare part numbers between each on things you're curious about

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 72 CB350 and am located in St. Clair, MI. Of all the bikes I have the 350 is still the most fun to ride. i have been looking for an excuse to take a ride into Canada and maybe we could meet up and ride. Good luck with the bike.

Tim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great bike, if I may say so! Years ago, I rode an XS750 cross country, I could do 300+ miles a day, but the CB350 suits me me now. Welcome...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome griennehornette, I'm just a hop, skip and jump from you in Chatham. Let me know if you want to go riding this summer after you get your bike up and running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts