Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom...

I was googling some questions about idle adjustments for my 1976 Honda CB500T and the search engine kept pointing me to this most wonderful corner of the Interwebs -- o' miracle of miracles!

Digging this community so far. The breadth and depth of knowledge appears vast and bottomless. Frequenting this forum should allow me to get the most of my sweet ride.

So, yeah, glad to be here. I look forward to sponging 90% of the time and (hopefully) contributing the other 10%.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome. I'm just 3 hrs south of ya.
And yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very Skookum

Reactions: davewrites

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, absolutely beautiful. Where did you get it, still in the crate?
Bought it 4 or 5 years ago from a former racer turned mechanic/collector. It was his brother’s bike, it wasn’t ridden much (~5.5k odometer) and, being motorcycle geeks, they kept it really good condition all those years.

Before I acquired the CB, it had been stored in a garage for 10-15 years so the mechanic/collector did a complete teardown, clean and rebuild before putting it on the market.

The day I picked it up, he gave me a photo CD with hundreds of pics of his restoration process, close ups of each part... meticulous. It was quite amazing. Paid a little over $3k for the bike, but quickly realized it was totally worth it. No regrets on the price.

(I even have the original toolkit under the seat!)

Last month was the first time I had to invest in anything above an oil change or tune up. I had the front brake caliper rebuilt because a leaky seal was causing it to bind.

These are some of the seller’s photos...

That bike had the vibe of a family heirloom, it wasn’t easy for the seller and his brother to let it go. He offered me free tune ups and maintenance for as long as I owned it. It’s a 3-hour trip back into Washington State, but I may finally take him up on his offer this Summer. I’d like to see his garage and collection one more time. And, of course, he’d be thrilled to see the 500 twin again.

Hmmm... I wonder if the seller has ever frequented this forum.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if the seller has ever frequented this forum.
If he hasn't been here, he should - and he should join. never hurts to have another experienced set of eyes and brain available to all.

You got a steal - one of only a handful (I'm sure) that have been properly taken care of over the long haul of keeping something known to be valuable in original form. Great pictures of the detail he put into the refurb (which it probably really didn't need, based on what you've described). Beautiful attention to detail. Lucky you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy cow that thing is perfect. Now I gotta go clean mine
The pics are indeed flattering. Upon close inspection, it isn’t mint but very, very good. And since I’ve resumed riding it, it has picked up a little more patina from use and general exposure. That said, it still does look remarkable considering it’s almost 43 years old! I get lots of compliments and questions wherever I park.

...and now I’m debating this as a daily commuter. But maybe not. Because of it’s age, excellent condition and predominantly stock parts, it should qualify for “collector status” in my province. I would get custom plates, dirt-cheap insurance but I’d also have to declare the bike for pleasure use only—no routine riding to work or school or the like.

It’s a coin toss. If the collector plates ensure it’s dirt-dirt cheap to keep the twin as is with limited road time, I’ll pick up another, newer commuter bike like a Suzuki TU250X in a month or so.

Great. If that happens, I’ll have to join a second forum. :|

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If he hasn't been here, he should - and he should join. never hurts to have another experienced set of eyes and brain available to all.

You got a steal - one of only a handful (I'm sure) that have been properly taken care of over the long haul of keeping something known to be valuable in original form. Great pictures of the detail he put into the refurb (which it probably really didn't need, based on what you've described). Beautiful attention to detail. Lucky you!
In some of the refurb pics, you’ll see parts sitting on a shiny metal tray... just in case you needed more proof of his surgical precision.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...I’m also secretly hoping the seller stumbles across this thread and realizes “Hey, that was me!”

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...and now I’m debating this as a daily commuter. But maybe not. Because of it’s age, excellent condition and predominantly stock parts, it should qualify for “collector status” in my province. I would get custom plates, dirt-cheap insurance but I’d also have to declare the bike for pleasure use only—no routine riding to work or school or the like.
And just who would know you're riding it every day if you didn't tell them...? The people who go the same direction to work in traffic? The cops who probably rotate shifts on the same route? If anything ever happened, that would be the day you just chose to exercise it... :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And just who would know you're riding it every day if you didn't tell them...? The people who go the same direction to work in traffic? The cops who probably rotate shifts on the same route? If anything ever happened, that would be the day you just chose to exercise it... :D
Yeah, there’s always that loophole but...

If the insurance company can prove you violated the policy and lied during a claim, they can void it. If I were to be gravely injured or perished, my family would get $0.

Also, when you renew your insurance up here, they check your odometer. So after an accident they can estimate your usage and determine if you were riding regularly or randomly for pleasure, like weekends.

All risk, little reward.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yeah, there’s always that loophole but...

If the insurance company can prove you violated the policy and lied during a claim, they can void it. If I were to be gravely injured or perished, my family would get $0.

Also, when you renew your insurance up here, they check your odometer. So after an accident they can estimate your usage and determine if you were riding regularly or randomly for pleasure, like weekends.

All risk, little reward.
Good points - insurance isn't required on motorcycles in Florida because they realize that, more often than not, the fault is with the car driver in an accident involving both. However, in light of beginner riders buying "small" bikes that are so much faster than in the past, I wonder how much longer that will last - considering all the news stories we read about disco bike riders crashing into cars because of excessive speed that car drivers can't possibly understand or estimate accurately (especially if they've never ridden) when they pull out, essentially, in front of them (though to the car driver it doesn't seem as if they've violated right of way due to misjudgment of the oncoming bike's speed).

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Davewrites, I mean this with love................I hate you

jealous jealous jealous

You do have a dilemma, but for me I would ride it and just keep taking care of it, there have been other 500T's that have survived years of abuse so yours should remain pristine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Absolutely stunning... while I am happy for you, I am also very, very jealous deep down inside... :-D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the kind words but... if you guys are that jealous about my bike, you’ll lose your freakin’ minds if you ever saw my wife! ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts