Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

Grabbing the pile of parts that represents a "complete" 1968 (registered as) CB450 K0! Super stoked as this is a motorcycle that has been on my list of must have's but has been out of my stomachs price range for some time.

Questions!!!

I remember there being some "to do's" for a 450 before making it a rider. This will be a weekend runner like all my beaters, but I don't want the engine locking up on the first ride.

The Details:
- The motorcycle as a whole has gone through a refurbish and is still in pieces. I have no information on the engine. It is beautifully clean and polished..but I haven't a clue on condition or if any work has been performed. I am assuming it is still as it was when removed from the motorcycle.

- Are there any fixes that need to be performed on the first gen 450's that I should do before I put the engine back in the frame?

Thank you for all the help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There's lots of info on the engine in the engine category for these models. I'm sure, though, there will be fellow members with that model to help.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Not knowing what exactly was done to the engine previously, several must dos that I could suggest would be:

1. Check compression anything below 130 psi cold would mean you're going to need a top end rebuild.
2. Check the oil pump and filter and clean them out thoroughly. Oiling issue is a killer for these motors.
3. Check valve timing and adjust clearance as needed. Make sure the rocker arms are oriented the correct way.
4. Check the cam chain and especially the cam chain tensioner and make sure that it isn't bind up.
5. While the engine is out you might as well go through the clutch plates and check for their condition. If the steel plates are glazed, I would take some emery cloth or fine grit sand paper to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts