Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Colorado! As you can tell by my subject line I'm not just new to this forum, I'm a new rider. After riding on the back of my brother's motorcycle when I was a little girl and now my husband's motorcycle, I finally decided that I wanted to try riding for myself. Believe me when I tell you it was a huge hurdle for me to even put my feet on the pegs, let alone shift into second, corner, stop quick, etc.

I took the MSF basic rider course two weekends ago. Considering I was one of about 4 people in the class that has never ridden a motorcycle before I did pretty well and was very proud of myself for learning to ride. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the riding test. It surprised the instructors since I had done everything right during the instruction sessions. You can imagine, I was pretty bummed. But, I decided to hang in there and I'm taking the Additional Rider Course and re-testing this Saturday. I expect to pass with flying colors. (Even got a little practice in on my husband's Triumph Bonneville T100)

I joined this forum because in 2 weeks I take possession of my first motorcycle -- a 1971 Honda CL350. This bike belongs to a friend of ours who builds and restores bikes for a living. He had purchased it and restored it for his wife when she learned to ride. Now that she has a couple of years of riding under her belt she decided she wants something bigger. I'll post pictures of the bike when I get it. What I love most about the bike is its high scrambler pipes. Her body is in great shape. In the near-term, she just needs new tires and a new seat. Our long-term plans for her include a few modifications that would turn her into a cafe racer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading and posting on this forum. Looks like a great community, especially for a newbie like me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes good luck and welcome!! i need to get into the rider course too i started riding riding mine just around my block and hoped for the best. good luck again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all! I can say without hesitation that the class was well worth it. And here in CO, it's expensive! But, I really learned a lot -- even through my failure to pass the test.

My two biggest problems were tight turns at low speed and cornering. The tight turns is basically doing a figure 8 in a very tight little box. I lost 8 points on that one -- going outside the box and putting my foot down. But, since this isn't "life or death" skill, it doesn't weigh that heavily on the test. What killed me was the cornering. I hadn't completely grasped "pressing" and I decelerated in the corner and went outside the boundaries of the curve. I lost 15 points on that one so I exceeded the 20-point maximum. I went over in my head what I did wrong, read articles and watched videos on cornering and the practiced on my husband's motorcycle. I think I get it now! So, with a little practice before the test on Saturday I'm confident I'll pass. After that, I'll gt my *M* designation on my license and my bike and I'll likely practice most of the rest of this riding season in a parking lot.

FYI: One of our instructors said she had been riding for about 20 years before deciding to take the basic rider course and she said it really helped her and she learned a lot, even after all that experience.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the site ScubaMare. Look forward to seeing pics of your new bike.

Best of luck on the test and remember keep you head and eyes up and it'll make the slow turns and cornering easier. Look to where you want to go, not at the ground. We're all pulling for you.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Welcome and all the very best on your test.
What Herr Deacon says is dead right, and dont forget to control your speed with back brake, (it gives the engine something to pull against)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the support and the tips. I've been playing that 130-degree curve over and over in my head and I'm ready for it this time. I can't even believe I choked and blew it the last time since I had completed the curve perfectly earlier in the day -- TWICE! But, I did everything wrong on the test. Accelerated too soon, decelerated, looked down instead of through the curve and then looked dead nut-on at the cone and proceeded to ride right over it. UGH! :oops:

When I practiced on my husband's Triumph last week, he said I did great! He was even proud of the tight turns I was making in the parking lot. So, I'm ready. Can't wait to get to it, in fact. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on the new bike and good luck on your test.

I'll refrain from giving you the same sound advice as previous posters, just know that they're right on. The u-turns in the small rectangle was tricky for me, as well, and I had ridden for a few years before I took the test. What really did it for me was trusting my abilities enough to actually keep my head pointed in the right direction. I, too, kept wanting to look down.

Can't wait to hear the results (just don't give up), and see pics of the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck on Saturday! I took my riders test for my licence with a TW200. But since I could basically come to a complete stop then go and never put my feet down on that bike, I aced the test. My wife took hers with her Yamaha 650 VStar, she's a much better rider than I am.

Again, welcome and good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Good luck on the test. I will admit that I failed my first time taking the course (Illinois has a free one that is A LOT better taught than the $300 one I took that crams the 4 days into a weekend, but the free one fills up within a week of registration). The second time around is a lot easier because you get the "testing jitters" out :D !

Sounds like you have a sweet bike to look forward to. Be sure to post it up in the "Project Logs" section!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it seems like a lot to cram into two 8-hour days -- especially if you've never ridden before. I think if I had had one more day of practice I would have passed. I'm really hoping we don't get rained out on Saturday. The forecast out here is not looking good. :|

I'll be sure to post pictures of my bike when I get it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there. I am new here as well. Good luck on your test, sounds like you'll do just fine! Oh, and you are going to love that 350!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New member -- new rider (UPDATE)

I passed the MSF test today. If you all who have taken it recall, the most points you can accumulate and still pass is 20. The first time I took it, I failed with a score of 23. Today, I took the ARC and passed the test with a score of 8. I can't wait to get on my CL350 and practice. :D

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Excellent, well done. Welcome to the real world.
Now you can learn to ride...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts