Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently picked up a early American import black bomber 450,
paper work says it is a 65, vin 1016747, engine 1013390.
Can anyone confirm that year model?

Also it has a small flat bracket under the left top fork nut, what is
that for, and the indicators look the same as later 70 models, is that
correct to for the early ones??

I'll post some pics in a day or so, I intend to just clean up and ride, no restoration.....yet ;)

Regards
Chris Dupen @
www.netbikes.com.au

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Chris, Early four speed examples in the US did NOT have signals......
They probably ARE 70's add-ons....

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick reply's guys, here are a few pics.

Compression is over 165 so it is possible the low miles are correct although bike looks like it has spent a fair portion of it's life
outside, I am not sure where in America it came from but there is not what i would call a lot of rust so I am thinking it was a dryish area,
as all the cables, seat covers and foot rubbers are cracked and or perished.

Regards
Chris Dupen @
www.netbikes.com.au

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
netbikes said:
thanks for the quick reply's guys, here are a few pics.

Compression is over 165 so it is possible the low miles are correct although bike looks like it has spent a fair portion of it's life
outside, I am not sure where in America it came from but there is not what i would call a lot of rust so I am thinking it was a dryish area,
as all the cables, seat covers and foot rubbers are cracked and or perished.

Regards
Chris Dupen @
http://www.netbikes.com.au
Good looking project. Is that an 86 or 87 750/1100 I see in the back? Even more cool would be if that was a "Water Buffalo" in the last picture.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes that is a 85 GSXR750, we got them here a year before the US, it is a donar bike, engine out, I have another in pretty good nic and I have my eye on a even better one.
The other bike is a GT750J, the one with the 4 leader front brake, it is for sale, you can see it at netbikes.

Regards
Chris Dupen @
www.netbikes.com.au

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, what's that little piece under the fork nut?? I have one on my 68 CL350k0 and was meaning to post the question.

Edy

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to this site. Lots of good info available.
Your BB is not a 1965. The frame and engine numbers are too high. The early 65 BBs had a different frame near the rear pegs and also flat, not indented air filter side covers. Yours also has the later rising/hump seat when the early BBs had the flat seat. There were no indicators on early BBs and only some parts of Europe had them. Yours is not a European bike as it has the US style rear number plate bracket. Everything about your bike tells me it is a US style model with indicators being added later. A lot of people think their BB is 65 as it says so on the wiring harnes. It seems all harnesses were made in 65. I think yours is a 66 maybe 67. Incidently, one of my BBs has frame number1016707, just 40 out on yours. That was registered here in 67.
The bracket on the forks? My understanding is some people moved the ignition switch higher by using this bracket as they did not have to bend down to operate it in its original position, but I have never actually seen this. Another thought is it may have beensomewhere to attach and leave a helmet, but again I have never seen this.
Hope this helps,
Regards, Ray.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Hi Ray pretty sure the bracket is a helmet holder shown on page 50/51 of genuine honda parts list 4 item 3 on pic for CB450K1/2.Honda list it as Keeper helmet part number 53126 292 670. Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I hope just " clean up & ride " means change oil, make sure its getting to cams,that old cam '0' rings have not disintegrated and a host of other checks site members can point you in the right direction for.Well members is there a check list somewhere on this site that can help you prevent very expensive mistakes when starting a motorcycle that has been stood a while not to mention how difficult bomber bits are to find.Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ray. As the import papers say it is a 65 I will have to register it here as that, I was wanting to know the exact year more for parts purchase etc.

I had the bike running the other day and it ran a little out of sorts so I have removed the carbs and stripped cleaned then, will reinstall today and see how it goes then.
I have downloaded the service bulletins from this site so should have all the info I need to get it just right.
All going well I may ride it to our next VJMC annual rally in march 2011, that is over 2000K round trip.
chris

Rayfromtheuk said:
Hi Chris, welcome to this site. Lots of good info available.
Your BB is not a 1965. The frame and engine numbers are too high. The early 65 BBs had a different frame near the rear pegs and also flat, not indented air filter side covers. Yours also has the later rising/hump seat when the early BBs had the flat seat. There were no indicators on early BBs and only some parts of Europe had them. Yours is not a European bike as it has the US style rear number plate bracket. Everything about your bike tells me it is a US style model with indicators being added later. A lot of people think their BB is 65 as it says so on the wiring harnes. It seems all harnesses were made in 65. I think yours is a 66 maybe 67. Incidently, one of my BBs has frame number1016707, just 40 out on yours. That was registered here in 67.
The bracket on the forks? My understanding is some people moved the ignition switch higher by using this bracket as they did not have to bend down to operate it in its original position, but I have never actually seen this. Another thought is it may have beensomewhere to attach and leave a helmet, but again I have never seen this.
Hope this helps,
Regards, Ray.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GAMD5 said:
I hope just " clean up & ride " means change oil, make sure its getting to cams,that old cam '0' rings have not disintegrated and a host of other checks site members can point you in the right direction for.Well members is there a check list somewhere on this site that can help you prevent very expensive mistakes when starting a motorcycle that has been stood a while not to mention how difficult bomber bits are to find.Regards Chris.

Yes thanks Chris, that is exactly what I mean, the bike was started and ridden around the block about 2 months ago by the po too.

I have now reinstalled the cleaned out carbs and it is running sweet, so I am on to the electrics next, the only thing that works is the horn.
The starter motor will need removal and service as will the solenoid, the fuel tap leaks so a new kit or replacement tap, and of course the air filters are
knackered, I guess good luck finding those, plenty of other smaller stuff to do but by the time i am done it will be ready for everyday use.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention a chap called Brian Homewood in the UK refurbishes old bomber & CB72 air cleaners.(he advertises in the VJMC mag).I've had some done in the past I think was about £35/40 per pair and he makes a very good job of them.Regards Chris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts