Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a search and got some ideas, but nothing seemed to answer my problem specifically. i am so happy to find this forum! hope you guys can help.

got my first bike(at 30) a 1976 cb360t. i love the bike but i was careless, i was at a light and black/blue smoke started to come out of the breather hose routed under the gas tank. engine seemed hot and bothered. i rode home and scoped out the thing, NO OIL i had been riding with so little oil it didnt even touch the dipstick! changed oil (what was there) with lucas 10w40 bike oil. the next day started up and it was making this kinda whistle like chirp sound in rythm with the engine. went for a ride rode fine at 2000 and up rpm but when i came to a light, it would make the squeaky whistle sound loud and die unless i feathered the throttle. i pulled the plug wire off the right side and it died right away i pulled the plug wire off the left side it didnt affect it at all, stayed running. the bike had a major service 500 miles ago EVERYTHING redone on the carbs and engine by a good shop(from what im told)
any ideas, i work on cars a bit and im not afraid to get my hands dirty.

thanks much, and glad to be here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sonova.... i just checked the oil, i put too much oil the oil level is a centimeter or so above the second line on the dipstick can this be a problem?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Did the old oil have a gas smell?....
Sounds like a typical "I left the petcock on" problems.... Fuel-thinned oil burns out of the sump fairly easily.... The problem is, it usually causes catastrophic damage to cam, tappets, and cam journals while attempting to lube the top end......
A tear down is usually necessary to judge the extent of the damage....

However, the whistle/chirp sound is classic blown head gasket...

Either way, you're burning a lot of oil and will need to ascertain the root cause....Tearing it down is the best method....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info i found the problem....the carb wasnt tight to the intake manifold the phillips head screw on the outside was loose...bitch to get to it, i had to use pliers to get it tight enough temp. need to find a screwdriver that can fit in that spot....it runs perfect now. i think the black oil may be because i didnt realize how involved changing oil in this bike is, so i just dumped it out then topped it off. any crap in the sump just ruined my new oil. i am going to tear it down this winter i just want to get 2 more months out of it first.

thanks for the insight

btw it did not smell like gas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts