Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Northern California, decided to join as I’m looking for a new project. I’m set on finding a 1969-72; CB or CL 175. I’ve restored a few SL 350’s in the past so, yes, I know what I’m getting myself into! I’ve been Browsing Craigslist and a friend brought me here, so hoping to find something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I just picked up a 71’ CL450K4 and yes I know I upsized a bit, but really like the extra torque the 450 has. Unfortunately it has shifting issues so I’m in the process of sorting that out.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I just picked up a 71’ CL450K4 and yes I know I upsized a bit, but really like the extra torque the 450 has. Unfortunately it has shifting issues so I’m in the process of sorting that out.
If you aren't aware or it hasn't been mentioned yet in any of the posts you're read about 450s, be sure to shut off the petcock each and every time you stop - the stock carbs have a tendency to weep gas past the float needles when the fuel is left on and the fuel can trickle past the rings on a cylinder with an intake valve open and contaminate the bottom end with fuel in your oil, causing potentially large damage to the top end parts on the DOHC 450 due to the design of the head and lubrication of the cams and followers. And, while we're on the subject, you should practice keeping the revs as low as possible on cold starts for at least 2 full minutes to allow the oil flow to go up the 2 right hand cylinder studs, into the cams (as well as the cam bearing caps) and out the orifices on the cam lobes to lube the followers... those who fire up their 450s and ride away immediately are doomed to replacing the exhaust cam and followers well ahead of those who treat the engine gently during warmup. No oil is retained or puddled under the cams and followers on this engine design and it relies entirely on the leftover film of oil on cold start until oil flow gets to the top end

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ancientdad. I had read about the no rev for a few minutes routine and regularly shut off my fuel in all my bikes. I was not aware of the possible carb issue leaking fuel into the cylinders so I will double check each time I park the 450. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts