Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this site a couple days ago...impressive to say the least! I'm guessing the site isn't all that old? Seems to me I would've run across it 6 or so years ago while working on a bike.

Anyway...I'm from MN and I'm a Hondaholic. Nice to meet you all. I have a '68 Candy Red 450 Scrambler that I believe is a K0. I'll post a pic later this week. My father was the original owner when he purchased the bike from a dealer when he was 14 or 15. I grew up riding on the back of it when I wasn't riding my mini. He ended up parking the bike for quite a while when he became too busy to ride, and then spoke of selling it. I wouldn't let that happen, so now I'm the 2nd owner!

I had an oil pump issue where the top end started squealing and getting tight so I freshened up the top end. Turns out the pump was missing 1 of the 2 check balls?!?! I found a ball bearing that worked nicely...now she pumps oil like a champ. Wow...parts are spendy and are getting hard to come by. I replaced all of the cam followers at $84 each, an exhaust valve, honed and re-ringed, polished the cam lobes, etc. Over $900 later I was able to ride it to a couple shows, to work a couple times, as well as get my Dad to ride it again with me on my other bike. The only time my father and I have ridden on the street together.

I'm about to dust it off again to get the bike ready to bring home for a class reunion for my dad to ride. He's pretty excited about it. But it needs a little work which I'm sure I'll be asking for some advice on at some point. One of the issues I'd like to fix is what I believe is a failing starter clutch. Another is a miss or sputter which I believe happens at a common throttle position. Then I've got a couple annoyances like an odd whirring or buzzing noise in the front wheel, and a throttle that isn't returning to idle when the clutch is pulled in.

Should be fun to get her back on the road again.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Welcome to here.

This site is not quite a couple years old - when the old MSN 450 DOHC site closed down, a few refugees formed another Honda Twin site which sort of shut down after the Administrator was in a terrible bike crash.
He fortunately recovered, but by then we had started this site, not knowing if he would ever be back.
So now there are two Honda Twins sites, this one (dot-net) and a dot-com site, co-existing.......

This one has more activity, for the most part - you'll find lots of 450 guys here.

Let's see photos - we don't get to see all that many early CL's......

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome neighbor! :D

We may not be big yet but you know how fast those 2 year olds grow! :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I'm amazed at the level of activity on a website with such a small focus!

Here's a couple pics of the Scrambler. I believe one or both mirrors are not original, maybe the front fender (or it was damaged back in the day and maybe chopped a little), one of the cables was replaced with a black one, battery, tires, maybe a lever...otherwise it's an original with nearly 13k miles.

Anyone have any air cleaner replacement ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another CL450 and another Jeremy :lol: Great looking bike. Lots of wisdom here :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
WOW! She's a peach! Others have rebuilt their stock filters by ripping/burning/cutting off the old filter media, after finding a paper filter meant for a car that was the same thickness/height. The round type that are on top of V8 air cleaners I think. You then glue that paper into your stock filter cases. Others have also used foam such as Uni-Filter foam..

A search here might turn up the info?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely do some searching on the air cleaner. I'm almost positive that the ones on the bike are the original issue. They're actually holding together pretty well, but I'm sure they're over resticting air flow. My father used to ride a lot of dirt, gravel and sand dunes on this bike back in the 70's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts