Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Brad, I recently found this site while Buying some parts from the Common Motor Collective in Texas, I started to work on my 71 CB450. My brother bought it new and I purchased it from him in the later 70's. I have not run it since the later 80's. I have restored several old Ski Doo's and old farm Tractors, and I have 4 older Honda motorcycles the 71 being the oldest. I have a 82 CB900c, a 85 VT700c shadow, and a 84 CT110 trail. I'm going though everything on this bike, Adjusting and the cam chain, valves, timing, carbs checked and cleaned, tank cleaned and fuel valve rebuilt. Most rubber parts are showing their age. As long as I'm at it I'm polishing the cases and cleaning the frame and trying to make it look nice. It has about 16,000 miles on it so not too bad. I'll try to get some pictures taken of it and post them.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome, and we're looking forward to the pictures. There are quite a few places to get parts for the DOHC 450 so don't focus on CMC entirely (unless you aren't worried about price, as they are usually higher than most). Lots of help here for your bike, don't hesitate to ask questions. Pictures that zoom in nicely are a big plus when it comes to getting the best answers and info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I have my CB450 out of the garage and running :) Here is a picture of it. It has sat for a long time, like 30yrs. I did quite a bit of cleaning and adjusting. It smokes a little on the right side, I'm wondering if it could be valve seals? It has 16,800 miles on it. Overall it seemed to run fine. After taking it on a 45 mile ride both plugs look identical but the right side is smoking.

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Brad,

Welcome to the group!
There is a lot of help and info here, being a late cyclist to Honda, I'm finding it a great source of bike knowledge.
Just finishing up a 1968 CL175, and I have a 1966 Superhawk and a Trail 90 in the stable (along with a few Euro bikes).

Michael in Mpls

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well I have my CB450 out of the garage and running :) Here is a picture of it. It has sat for a long time, like 30yrs. I did quite a bit of cleaning and adjusting. It smokes a little on the right side, I'm wondering if it could be valve seals? It has 16,800 miles on it. Overall it seemed to run fine. After taking it on a 45 mile ride both plugs look identical but the right side is smoking.
Nice bike, good-looking survivor... the smoke could be valve seals, but it could also be caused by rust rings in the cylinders from sitting so long. Even if the engine isn't stuck when one sits a long time, it still generally creates rust rings where the piston rings are sitting when an engine doesn't get turned over for a very long time, usually the cylinder that had an open valve. Ride it for a while to see if it clears up on its own. You did change the oil, right? You didn't mention it above... and one other thing while I think of it - be sure to always turn off the fuel when the bike is parked, even if only for a half hour. The stock carbs have been known to "weep" fuel past the float needles and into the engine, through an open intake valve and down past the rings into the bottom end, diluting the oil and causing engine damage if the oil is significantly diluted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ancientdad , yes I did change the oil and cleaned out the oil spinner/filter. New O-rings on that as well. The oil seemed fine no moisture in it that I noticed. The bike has been inside either in my basement (walk out type), my storage bldg, or my heated garage. The cylinders are not as shiny as I would like, but not rusty either. I have a few more questions, but, I'll post in the general section, not in the new member section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts