Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys!!!

What it is? I've been lurking in the background for sometime, doing research and getting inspiration, but finally became a member. Last week I bought a 68 cl450 that runs great but the front end needs some love. This is my second bike and first build, and I'm sure will have a ton of questions for you veterans. The plan is to get her back onto the road this summer and then start tearing her down next winter for a full rebuild.

Here is a picture of her now.
[attachment=0:1afdfguj]1968 Honda Scrambler cl450.jpg[/attachment:1afdfguj]

Things I'm looking for still:
New handle bars, not sure if I want apes, clubmans, drag bars, or a new set of MX bars. Going to polish up the stock ones for now,
Turn signals up front,
Stock Front and Rear wheels, or 81 gs450 mags if the price is right,
New tires, not sure if I want to go retro or modern yet,
cb450 front disc brakes and master cylinder,
Another tank, think I've got one of these in the works locally, looking for a lil' boxie thing,
Controls, Atv thumb throttle, 2 in to 1 clutch and front brake setup
shorter seat, cafe/brit stylie

Wow so much for that budget plan...

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like that bike is hiding some stories.

Welcome to the site.

Did I mention that's a nice ride?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I recommend AGAINST the thumb throttle unless a handicap requires it.....WAY too easy to accelerate while trying to apply front brakes............

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
66Sprint said:
I recommend AGAINST the thumb throttle unless a handicap requires it.....WAY too easy to accelerate while trying to apply front brakes............
While I wouldn't put a thumb throttle on a bike unless necessary, I gotta say that I can't see a thumb throttle ever causing any dangerous problems. I grew up on Honda ATCs and never once had a problem while braking. I've owned a whole bunch of em. To each his/her own though..

GB :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've got one arm. So I'm going to flop all the controls over to the right side, and swap the twist out for a thumb throttle. I'm trying to stay away from a foot clutch/suicide shift or a Hondamatic. I've been power shifting dirt bikes and quads for years, but I figured I'd see how this combo works out on the CL build. I've never had an issue grabbing the throttle when breaking, but I also didn't ever have the clutch involved. We'll see how it works, if it doesn't, well I guess it's back to power shifting:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
My suggestion would be to build a "proportioning" brake set-up that uses only the pedal, and have only a clutch lever on the bars...I'll bet Steve (66 Sprint) has done something similar, He's always trying to get more work out of less parts....LMAO!.... (No offense Steve)...Digger

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Digger said:
My suggestion would be to build a "proportioning" brake set-up that uses only the pedal, and have only a clutch lever on the bars...I'll bet Steve (66 Sprint) has done something similar, He's always trying to get more work out of less parts....LMAO!.... (No offense Steve)...Digger

Digger - Good call.
I've done a bit of research on the "proportioning" valves, and to my understanding they only work with disc brakes. I hadn't planned on going disc in the rear, but that wouldn't be a bad thing. I also like the idea of simplicity, where less is more.

Steve- Have you ever done something to this effect? Any advice?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Yes....I have done it with both disc front/drum rear and drums on both ends......What type brakes are you running?....... Discs on both ends would be easy also, but I just haven't done that yet.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve- Rad, that is awesome news!! Easy is what I like to hear. Well, I went with the CB450 fork to run discs up front and I was kinda waiting to figure this out before deciding what to do with the rear. I've currently got the old drum rim it's hashed, half rusty and pitted, but the drum works fine. If it's not much harder to keep the drum in the back that is one less thing I have to buy, which would be good for the budget, but if it'll work better with the disc I can try and find one of those. How would running a 19" up front effect handling, and do you know what year will fit '73 cb450 forks?

I'll try and get the rear off today, and take some pics see if you guys think it's worth salvaging. I may be able to get away painting it and replacing the spokes.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge, I really appreciate it!

-Hzlscm

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
A 73 should already have a 19" disc wheel up front...........

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey you guys!!!! I'm back!!

Had to take care of some personal life stuff this winter, but things are starting to look up again. New house, new shop, new interwebs, and a couple new(old) scooters! Just ordered a bunch of parts for my cl/cb450, and it's finally warming up enough to be out in the shop. I'll post some recent pics of the bikes, and push to get this darn thing on the road this spring!

Stoked for motivation! :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts