Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here living in Mississippi. Just picked up my first barn find about an hour ago. She is a 73 Cl350. Bought from second owner; he bought her in 1978 and put her in a shed in the early 80's. Hasn't run since, however the motor does turn over. Has approximately 1,400 miles on the odometer.

First thing I did was to join this forum, as you can tell, I'm going to need all the help I can get! I've had two other bikes in the past, both Suzuki (79' GS550l and an 82' GS750E). The last bike I had was in 2009. Despite having little knowledge on the subject, I enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them! This should be a fun one.

My plan is to clean her up and keep the restoration simple. Start with the basics, change the oil, spray the cylinders, change the battery and plugs, clean the gas tank, set the points, adjust the valve clearance, rebuild the carburetor, change the air filter, and check compression. Get her running, then change the tires, brake pads, clutch and brake pedals. In between all this- basic cleaning and polishing.

Anyhow, thanks ahead of time for all the invaluable information on this forum.

IMG_3395.JPG Cl350 right side.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great find.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Yes, nice find indeed. To get one from only the second owner with so few miles on it is a great advantage. The fact that it turns over is even better. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice paint. Excited to see how it turns out. Just got a '72 that I'm still learning to wrench on. Mine doesn't have the engine guard though. Don't know if it was removed or just sold without. I'll be checking in on your progress from time to time. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Not sure if the engine guard is factory issued or not, I plan to remove it eventually. The top of the gas tank paint is actually in horrible condition. It has rust pin spots all over and part of the clear has formed ridge like formations over the top of the gas tank. I'm going to look into polishing the rust out and making it somewhat presentable. On one of my previous bikes, I sanded the tank down and repainted it (twice- orange peel, grass clippings, dust and mosquitos). I regretted it. It lost character. I'm going to try to keep the factory paint despite its imperfections. I'll try to keep you all posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts