Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Honda CB400A Hawk Hondamatic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm Mac, live in Ohio, USA. I recently bought a 1978 Honda CB400A Hawk Hondamatic as a winter project / revival. The bike has only 1,790 miles on it and was stored inside since 1982 (the last year it was tagged). Lots of dust, mice nests, and rust everywhere. Engine spins easy. Missing some parts (turn signals, seat hand rail). Possibly has original tires on it. It's titled and I found the original paperwork under the seat. Winter 2020/2021 is going to be long and this will keep me occupied.

These forums are great for knowledge sharing. I'm excited to learn about this bike and ultimately get it roadworthy by the summer. I normally ride a 2010 Honda NT700V and wrench on that bike myself. Last winter I did a bottom-end rebuild of a Vespa GTS250ie which provided many challenges, but was rewarding in the end. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool find and welcome. My own 78 Hondamatic project started very similar to yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Bike looks familiar, haha. This is mine:
View attachment 313275
That's the same bike exactly. I would greatly appreciate more pictures of your bike (other side, front, and back). Mine is missing parts and your bike is a great reference so that I get the correct replacements. You can post them here or send them to [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's the same bike exactly. I would greatly appreciate more pictures of your bike (other side, front, and back). Mine is missing parts and your bike is a great reference so that I get the correct replacements. You can post them here or send them to [email protected]. Thanks.
Here's some I can find before I cleaned her up:

I do also have the crash bar but the bike looks MUCH better without it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 313289
View attachment 313290
View attachment 313291
View attachment 313292
View attachment 313293
I do also have the crash bar but the bike looks MUCH better without it, in my opinion.
View attachment 313289
View attachment 313290
View attachment 313291
View attachment 313292
View attachment 313293
The pictures are excellent. This will be a big help. I have a rusted hulk of a crash bar also...it was the first thing to come off. You're correct, it looks better without it. I'm finding that hondamatics are somewhat rare and sometimes requires special parts that are hard to find. Amyway, this will be a good winter project. Thanks, Mac

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
97 Posts
I have the complete Honda factory maintenance manual if you need me to take some photos and text them to you sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts