Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name's Dan. I've been poking around here since July but thought I should introduce myself. I picked up a motorcycle license in June and a 1971 CB350 a few weeks later. I've been mostly riding it around town, with a few shorter (i.e. 1-2 hours) rides and one long weekend trip up north (about 296 miles each way on country roads). Bought the bike from a former bike mechanic who walked me through the basics, but if anyone has a FSM I'd appreciate it.

One small issue so far - I've been riding to work (only a few miles) the past few days and noticed some output from the fuel overflow (the one on the bottom of the bike). I've read a few posts about potential carb issues. It's also been getting colder here recently. Any ideas?

At any rate, from what I can tell this is an awesome community and I'm happy to be aboard. Thanks for all the help I've received already. Pics below. IMG_1964[1].jpg IMG_1963[1].jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to the forum dslenz. Nice bike you have there! I believe you can download a manual under the 350 forum section, otherwise I'm sure someone on here will be able to share a link.

When you say output from the fuel overflow, are you talking about overflow from the carbs or emissions from your breather hose?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The forum doesn't post downloads of the manual as it copyrighted and currently availabel for sale.

However.
The common motor collective has a download page for manual and they do have a link for a PDF of the FSM.

Reactions: Rothafella

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum dslenz. Nice bike you have there! I believe you can download a manual under the 350 forum section, otherwise I'm sure someone on here will be able to share a link.

When you say output from the fuel overflow, are you talking about overflow from the carbs or emissions from your breather hose?
I believe it's the breather hose (bottom of the frame, in front of the rear tire). It's not the overflow directly below the carbs. I've only ever seen output from those once, and that was months ago when the bike hadn't run for a long time.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
A bit of dripping from the breather tube is not cause for excessive concern but may be an indicator or future maintenance requirements. A compression check might be in order.

Welcome to the group.

PM sent regarding FSM.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Breather Tube would drip a mixture of Water and Oil that condensed from a vapor.

Carb Overflows will drip PURE GAS.

Very different and super easy to tell from just the consistancy and smell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha. Based on that, I'll say it was the carb overflow (My mistake had been thinking the carb overflow referred to the drain valve below the carbs themselves).

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The carb overflows are located at the bottom of the carb bowls. They typically have hoses connected to them which route any fuel away rather than letting it drip on the engine. They often exit in the same area as the breather tube.

·
Registered
206 Posts
From the issue(s) that I’ve been dealing with on my carbs, any overflow may have to do with your float height - might want to check them out. Is it running rich?

Nice bike btw!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts